• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To say Hello!

Otty

Just wanted to drop a line and say hello. I just joined and payed my due so that I can start to meet other people with the same passion on this hobby that I have. Had freshwater for 23 years and had the same 55 gal for 19 years of that. Switch over to saltwater last year and have loved it ever since. I since have mounted a 265 gal in the wall as a pennsula (3 sided view/ room divider) and it is currently cycling at the moment. I will be transfering all my rock and coral over from the 55 when it is done which is about 94 lbs more of LR. I will finish putting sand in to hide the plumbing at about week 7. All that I have on for light in the pics is a shop light. There is 3 400w MH w/SPS 14,000k that I will turn on about week 12 in the cycle. Doing a 12 week cycle with no chemical and letting mother nature do the work. Guess this is a way to work on my patience because Mommy says I need to. :D

I look forward to meeting new people as I am somewhat new to the marine lifestyle. To me it is a challenge and that is something I like in life.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6581&d=1174268434

attachment.php?attachmentid=6580&d=1174268434

attachment.php?attachmentid=6583&d=1174268434

attachment.php?attachmentid=6582&d=1174268434

Welcome to INDMAS Otty!!

Very nice looking set-up you've got started there. You'll find that everyone here is very willing to help out and answer any questions.

Keep us updated on the progress of your tank, it should be exciting to see that thing filled up.

Take a look at the "meetings" forum too. We've got a frag swap coming up in a few weeks. Hopefully you'll be able to make it.

Thanks for the welcome and I will keep an eye out on the swaps and meetings, my wife just rolls here eyes when I talk about fish so it will be nice to chat with people who care. :lol:

I will post some more pics of my progress on the tank in one of the other forums for tank displays.

I currently belong to a local club but it seems to be just a few that care and a bunch that say they do. I hope the INDMAS will be much more then that.

Awesome tank--love the rockwork

Thanks! The rockwork on the end of the tank is to hid the plumbing that is put at the end of the tank to move water in a CCW motion. I wanted a tank that I see no cords or powerheads in. I just want to see rock coral and fish.... :D

6453d1171592102-ottys-265-w-3-sided-view-tank-w_plumbing.jpg

Looks excellent! I love peninsula style tanks!

It looks like you have 2 expensive hobbies though!

Tim

Saltwater is expensive but the other hobby is for emotional reasons ......My scooter is my therapist.. :D All my problems and stress leaves every time I get in the wind. At least that is what I tell the wife... :roll:

it's probably cheaper than a therapist 8O

hope you can come to the frag swap. even if you're not ready for frags, I'm sure you can find someone to talk about reefing with you :lol:

and we have some great raffle prizes!

Judging from the bare bottom is it going to be mainly SPS? I love the peninsula tanks as well.

Welcome to the site!

If you notice on the pic there is 2 cups of established sand from my 55 gal in the bottom with 1 yellow tailed damsel. At about week 6 or 7 depending on parameters I will put 200lbs of sand in to hide the plumbing then 1 week later put one piece of LR from the 55 and turn on the actinics to seed coralline. About 4 more weeks after that I will turn on the MH's if parameter are rock solid then start adding 1 fish a week until I get everything from the 55 moved over. I was given this recept for a no chemical, no algae startup from a friend who has been doing this since the 60's and Dad always told me to listen to my elders so I am giving it a try.

Welcome to the group Otty. I want to do a tank very similar to yours one day, I love the peninsula style as well.

What local group do you belong to? I am only a few minutes away from you in North Vernon and I would love to check our your tank when you get it up and running.

What local group do you belong to? .

Indiana Reefers Club (IRC) A gentleman here in Columbus just started it up about 3 months ago and we have been meeting to swap frags and chat so it isn't all that bad. We had a lot of people want to join but then no one shows up to meeting. PM me and I can give you some details if you are interested. We will meet next month in Columbus. Any time you want to stop by just let me know, the tank is work in progress at the moment so it's not all complete. Working on the light canopy at the moment.

Thanks again for the welcome.

I will work on gettig some nice pics of the 55 this weekend. Been spending all my free time on the 265 if I'm not changing diapers... :P

The club doesn't have a web-sight as they are pretty new. Don't know if it will last very long but I have met some pretty nice people. I started a thread on my 265 if you want to check it out. There is about 3 months of work posted so far.

Otty's 265 Tank Thread