Was the website hacked?

I do not believe your personal data is kept on this site.

How sad is it that we live in a world where people have nothing else to do but sit around and figure out how to get into other people's things. I hope you feel better about yourself mr. or ms. hacker. You hacked our website. Wow what an accomplishment. Maybe you learned a little something and now can make your reef tank as nice as ours. Ok now move along and go bother others or go back to your dark room with your computer and enjoy your dateless night.

Yes everyone, someone hacked the phpBB forum and posted their "victory" on the homepage. Lets just be glad it was clean.

I am letting our communications chair (Ed) know about it so he can look into it. I will also investigate and figure out what exploit they used so we can fix it.

Like any widely used software, phpBB has people constantly finding vulnerabilities and then posting it on the web. The sad thing is the people who actually find the exploits are not usually the ones who do stuff like this... this was probably a stupid 14yo boy who found instructions on how to do it on the internet and thinks doing it makes him smart (hence the victory dance).

OK so the site got hacked, making fun of the hacker is great. But the real concern should be what do we need to do to make sure this doesn't happen again. Cyberhacker posting his name on the home page is small damage compared to what he could have done.

What is going to be done to secure the site or fix the hole that let him in?

What do we need to keep the site up to date on patches to security holes?

I am not trying to be rude by any of this but getting the site hacked is not a laughing matter.

I agree it is no laughing matter. As I said, we are lucky it was harmless and clean.

Hopefully Ed will have a chance to look into it soon. I believe this is a problem with PHP, not phpBB (the forum program we use). I will see if our hosting company has updated to the latest version of PHP or not. Unfortunately, it will probably take some time because I think there are some modifications that have to be made to the phpBB program to work correctly with the latest version of PHP.

As I said earlier I'm not trying to be rude or anything at all. I am in the IT industry and I see clients everyday that think it can never happen to them. So when I am part of an organization I want to make sure we are doing everything we can so it cant happen to us.