Can’t keep Dkh up

Looking for some advice on why I can’t seem to keep my dkh up in reef tank all of sudden. Tank is about 6 months old and due to a parasite getting into my main tank is now fallow. Has been fallow for 5 weeks. Could co2 scrubber be an issue? I just added and ph is now consistently 8.25 to 8.4. Other parameters below. I am dosing alk and using kalwasswer in ATO. Did not start dosing until kalkwasser seemed to be ineffective with alk. Does brs kalk powder go bad? Corals (softies and lps) seem to look perfect even with low Dkh readings. 

dkh - 5.5 daily afternoon reading 
calc - 490

mag - 1250

thanks In advance!

I see a lot of write-ups on various websites regarding co2 scrubbers and Ph and ALK being areas of issue. Since I do not run a scrubber I'll let someone else or other websites be your guide. 

I agree the dkh reading is quite low and Calc quite high it may be helpful to look at lowering Calcium (maybe even by a water change)... why type of test kits are you using? Has anyone else tested your water to verify (roughly) your readings? 

The good news is the corals look good (which is why I ask about getting confirmation on your test readings). A water change may be enough to make a gradual change and maybe a short term best solution. 

My two cents anyway... of course, I usually don't get a penny for my thoughts...

• Like 1

Are you dosing just kalkwasser? If so, a lot of kalkwasser has an imbalance of alk (Dkh) and calcium. I personally dose kalk to keep my calcium stable and raise PH, and then dose a little alk from 2 part to keep up with my alk. I haven't heard of alk dropping with a CO2 scrubber. My alk drops about .28 per day, so I dose 16ml of Alk 2 part and nearly 2000mL of kalk a day. The kalk pretty much double functions as my ATO. This is also on a 240 gal aquarium with mostly SPS (still frags).

How are you testing your alk? Do you have a different way to confirm the all test numbers? Also if you try to raise it, do it slowly, like .25 per day.

• Like 1

So I am testing alk with a Hanna checker and aquaforest test kit to be sure. Right now I can barely get it to 7 dosing almost 40 ml total in doses through the day. Most days it fluctuates between 6.4 and 5.8. Corals seem fine and are still growing. I did notice I think my ATO pump slipped off small shelf I had and was apparently pulling some off the sediment of bottom of reservoir. Is it possible this could be source of problem. I have done consistent weekly water changes and fresh salt water is testing at 8.2 Dkh. Could I be trying to raise it too fast and it’s precipitating? Thanks for the help!

My thought is that you are adding calcium with the kalk, then since it is so high, it is precipitating out the alk you are adding. I'd worry about getting your magnesium up to 1450ish (makes it less likely to have alk precipitate) and calcium down to under 450. Then, try to raise your alk slowly.