Metal halide hybrid lights

I am thinking about going to a metal halide/led hybrid light on my 34 gallon. Has anyone else gone back to metal halides? I have been having a lot of issues with dino's in both my tanks. And it looks like even some of the pros are having issues with all LED's after a few months to a year going back to metal halides or a hybrid.  After doing some research I am seeing a possible, but not confirmed, theory that led's don't have the true UA that may be needed. Even though they are advertised a UV bulbs, they really are not when tested with a spectrometer(?) The theory was that UV(that is in metal halides) kills some the the bacteria that causes dino's and maybe other issues. I would love to hear from anyone else that has gone back to MH lights. 

Amanda. I had amphidinium dinos before my switch to LED. It never got too out of control even when the tank was lit with only the LED. I did manage to get rid of it now. Not sure which nail it the coffin it was. Only thing I was strict about was bi-weekly water changes with sand bed siphon, and weekly microbactor 7 dosing (now bi-weekly) 

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 3:31 PM, Gonzo620 said:

Amanda. I had amphidinium dinos before my switch to LED. It never got too out of control even when the tank was lit with only the LED. I did manage to get rid of it now. Not sure which nail it the coffin it was. Only thing I was strict about was bi-weekly water changes with sand bed siphon, and weekly microbactor 7 dosing (now bi-weekly) 

What lights are you running now?

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I've been running Halides again for 3 years.  I use the Reefbrite XHO for my blues and I love the look!

I am strongly leaning towards the Reef Brite mh/led hybrid. 
image.jpeg.4cac229df4a5a1f1fc554b78157093ee.jpeg
I was thinking about the 250 watt cause the size bulb is easier to find than the 150 watt but wondering if that will be too much for my 34 gallon Red Sea reefer 170.  

20 hours ago, tprize said:

You can also consider the flip side a Kessil a500x / T5 combo

I looked at T5’s  but can’t do them cause smallest size is 24”. Tank is only 20” cube. I don’t want the light sticking out over the tank. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 4:09 PM, tprize said:

Have the lights come in? I’m excited to see the transformation, hopefully you can do a before and after.

Light came in very quickly, I was surprised how quick I got it. It is already installed. I didn’t get before pick but I can post some after. I have a 14 k bulb now but thinking of putting in a 20k bulb. I will get some pictures later when light comes on.