Coral Bleaching Question

Good afternoon all! 

My wife Christina and I moved into a house with a 260-gallon saltwater tank just last week. We’re looking forward to being part of the group and growing with the hobby! 

Before I pose my question for everyone, I just wanted to give a quick S/O to Mike Miller for taking any questions I’ve had over the phone, Jeremy from Modern Aquatix (make sure to see his shop!) for giving us lessons and supplying products, and to Jochen for building such a beautiful tank in the first place.

So I know this is a wide-range question that I’m trying to get a better grasp on, and being new to the hobby, Google is a little overwhelming with the possible information.

Today I spotted a coral that looks to be newly bleached on part of it. I have the Apex Fusion app, so I can confirm my parameters recently have been consistently around:

- PH - 8.1 to 8.25

- Salt - 34.8 to 34.9

- ORP - 310-325 

- Temperature - 77 and 78 degrees.

The previous owner built this tank to be a smooth running machine that mostly takes care of itself, so as far as the lights, heating, water changes, skimming, etc... are all self-automated and all seem to be running fine right on schedule. 

So with that said, any guesses on what possibly could have caused this? I’m open to hearing suggestions on how I could help give more information for your thoughts too, just know that a lot of the aquarium lingo is all incredibly new to me. 

EE72C932-6CCA-4345-A61A-31D255196782.jpeg

Hey KB?  Welcome to the club and the opportunity to walk into a bad arse tank like that!  Perams look solid...and I think you are right with that big nem...in the right flow it looks like it could reach that acropora.

It may be wise to move and re-mount the acro a few inches to the left.  Secondly it could potentially continue to necrose further pending the severity of the sting.  I would monitor closely and if the necrosis continue to spread...I would clip that branch BELOW the run/necrosis some In hopes to prevent it any further.  Hope that helps!!  

The anemone is more than likely the culprit and relocation is probably the best answer on that.

Also you might want to check phosphates and nitrates with a test kit just to check where you are at 

Jeremy may have done that already 

Mike

I agree with the above two comments, moving the acro would seem to be the best solution. Hopefully, they can be moved a bit further away than just a few inches away, as growth will occur over time. Try to move to a new location with similar lighting and flow.

Welcome to the club!