Dosing pump

So when I remember I have been dosing my tank with B-Ionic 2 part and Magnesium.  I have been thinking about getting a dosing pump but don’t want to spend an arm and a leg.  What are your recommendations?   I have a 13.5 Evo if that helps.  

I’ve used Jabaos with both great success, as well as disasterous.

I had one 4-head Jabao run perfectly for 2 plus years when one of the pump motors began making noise, so I replaced the whole unit with new. The new unit siphoned an entire gallon of B-Ionic calcium into the tank in two days. 

So I switched to a 4 head Bubble Magnus, which worked fine but the pump heads needed constant maintenance/replacement. The pumps would pull the rubber tubing up through the pump head, eventually disconnecting the pump tube from the supply line, dumping additives everywhere.

I’m now using Trident-controlled Dos pumps. I’ve also had one of those siphon a bunch of Calcium into my tank (just not as fast as with the Jabao). Price does not always correlate with quality.

If money is an issue, I’d say just get the Jabao and a few extra pump heads and a small tube of silicon grease. Calibrate it, set it and forget it….but keep an eye out for siphoning. Lube the pump heads every so often. Don’t hesitate to swap one out if it starts to dribble.

• Like 1

I personally feel the most bang for your buck are the single BRS 1.1 ml dosers. I've had mine on for years. And recently started controlling them with my apex. Honestly I've only changed the hose once out of sheer preventative maintenance, and saved the old ones because there was nothing wrong with them. 

• Like 1