Back when I was a kid... Copepods and Amphipods

You know you have gotten older when it seems like everything you say starts out with how you used to do something. Today I am reflecting (way back in 2007) on how we  provided a safe place for copepods and amphipods (C&A) to reproduce without getting eaten (at least not right away. Ideally I would have a sump/fuge with life rock, lighting ,some chaeto and a 1 inch sand bed. However for this build at this time I plan on starting out with an AIO that has a skimmer in the back and media bags. I am still wondering if there is a way I grow some chaeto in there, but that's another discussion. Back to the C&A, we used to use the little green baskets that you sometime buy strawberries in, turn them upside down and on the sand bed with some live rock rubble and then hide that with live rock placement. This would also be offered as a possible way to increase your pod population if you wanted to keep a mandarin. I am not wanting to do that but I am hoping to have a large population of C&A to offset the minimal amount of feeding. Are there better ways to do this now? 

43 minutes ago, ScottJoniec said:

Thanks for your response. I will have to look into that. 

Whats your Parrots name? We have Tiki - Female Eclectus, Poppy - Sun conure and Sunny - Cockatiel  

His name is Misty. Thought it was a female when we named him. Later got a dna test and confirmed he is a male. 🙂 He is 19 years old now. Had him since he was 4 weeks old.

• Thanks 1

Wow very cool. If you are interested I also belong is in a local parrot club too and can share that with you? There are several African Grays there. I take it from being on the north side you are a regular at Bird Fever? (We got all of ours there)  

I use to be a member of the bird club years ago.

I am not a fan of Bird Fever. We got our grey from a breeder in Danville, IN. I think she has retired now. 20 some years ago I use to raise some birds also. I raised several finches, canaries,  parakeets, hand feed cockatiels and Indian Ring Necks. 

• Thanks 1