Coming back!

ScottJoniec

Hello,

I’m a long time returning member. Looking back to find my screen name I had to go back to 2007. At that time I had a 125 gallon reef setup that I had to take down after my wife decided she wanted to get new flooring in the room it was setup in. Ironically I am returning now with just a few weeks before (in a new house) she is getting new flooring. I’m curious who is still around from back then? A lot has changed in my life. My wife and I adopted two girls. The oldest is getting ready to go to college, the youngest is 10 and loves all types of animals. We currently have 2 dogs, 3 parrots and a freshwater tank. About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune muscle disease that is slowly attacking my muscles and at this point has taken away my ability to walk, so I use a power wheelchair to get around. Because of this my youngest daughter will be helping me with this project. This time around I think we are looking to setup something in the sub 40gallon size. I have been looking at the Red Sea Max Nano and the Reefer 170. I love the idea of having a sump for growing a macro algae and co-pods breeding area, but not sure how much maintenance I will be capable of. I’m open to any idea or advice anyone has. Great to be back and hoping we can make it to the frag swap coming up in May. 

My little one would have it no other way. She grew up watching Octonauts and between that and my love of the ocean she was stuck. 🤣 We have decide to go with the Red Sea Max e-170. Starting out without the sump refuge option, but hopefully adding later. My daughter is a real rule follower and always looking to make peace out of any situation and I think I am going to carry that theme into the tank with a couple of examples of symbiotic relationships and just an overall peaceful tank. Which means I will probably also stay away from corals that have a tendency to take over the tank. We'll see, slow and steady. 

• Like 2