First Time Tank

kyle079

Hey all!

I have been a long time lurker of the Saltwater Hobby, following forums and watching videos since I was 13 (Now 30). Well I finally pulled the trigger and am starting a tank! A few weeks ago I ordered 50 lbs of dry rock from BRS. It is currently in a brute in the garage cycling. Added Dr. Tim's one and only about a week ago and did my initial dose of ammonia. I have been doing daily tests of ammonia but have not made very much progress. Hoping to progress more over the next week. I was also able to find a used tank (40 breeder with stand, sump, return pump, 2 Kessil 160 and skimmer) that I will be picking up this Saturday. I am beyond excited to get it! Currently the only other equipment I have are a Nero 5, 150 watt heater, and some testing equipment.

Any tips or tricks you recommend for a first timer? Any must have equipment? Any livestock recommendations?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Really excited to get this up and running!

Welcome to the club!  Heed the advice, have fun, and get ready to become addicted to this hobby.  As Puffdragon mentioned, patience is key in this hobby.  You will have your ups and downs, but in the end it is well worth it.