Almost there!

Just an update on the 90 gallon. I got the sump filled with SW and and refugium section filled with sand. Last night I got the tank on the stand and got everything on the tank side plumbed (closed loop and drain/return plumbed). Tonight I have to rinse about 6 bags of sand for the tank, make some more SW, and fill the tank. I have the Metal Halide hood started but still needs to be finished, primed, and then painted. This is neverending. Still don't have time to post pics but will do so tomorrow or Thursday Night.

Tomorrow, I am going to go to Premium to pick up my LR for the tank. What kind would be best? Also what is the best way to rinse sand. I rinsed and rinsed and still get cloudy water. I actually had to drain my sump and refill it because it was still cloudy after 2 days.

I usually use Fiji....its on the cheaper side and looks great....if your pockets are deep kaelini is great! and some people like tonga branch.

what kind of sand do you have. I use Southdown and it it takes a long time to filter. I fill up a rubbermaid tub, pour in the sand, then stir it up and drain the water, and do this over and over and over again, till i can stir the water and it gets clear within a minute or so...this usually takes a few weeks stirring it up and draining about 2-3 times per day.I am also usually running some kind of filter.

My way IS a PITA......but I NEVER get sand storms or silt build up. plus I can brush my hand through the sandbed and my water is never cloudy...its very nice!

some of the filters I have used are HOB filters, PH's with filters and now I am using a large red sea bucket filter. You probably dont have to go to the extent that I do.....but the long term results are awesome!

Kyle

PS. if possible I wouldnt filter the sand in your main tank or sump(get something seperate, rubbermaid tubs work good!)....all the silt will stick to your pluming and get all over everthing...and when your done the walls of everything wll be covered with silt.

As for LR, Fiji is good, a little easier on the pocketbook. I have been real happy with the Marshall I got from PA also. Depending on how much rock you want to put in your tank, PA does also have some dry tonga branch for $2.50/lb. You could get some of this and seed in your tank with other LR. Might save you a little $.

I am using Kolorscape sand and it does take forever! I have been putting a bag in a 5 gallon bucket and taking the hose on full pressure to stir up the sand. Then dump the water out over and over and over and over again. I didn't rinse the sand in the sump as well as some that I did on Sunday night, so that is the reason it clouded up. I am hoping that this will eventually settle and go away. Would a HOB filter help?

Would a HOB filter help?

Absolutely! make sure you have lots of filtering media....filter pads/floss....what ever you want to use. This other then draining the vessel after every stir, sometimes I just stir it up 10 times a day and let the filter do the work....its slower, but keeps your back healthy from all the dumping.! :)

Kolorscape ( as far as I know) is almost identical to southdown. it will take a while to clean.....but its worth it!

I like these filters

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG10575

they are cheap! the replacement pads are cheap! The pads are semi-fine to pick up small particles and they do a very nice job. plus IMO, they are better then a HOB filter becuase you can put a lot more GPH through them then most HOB filters.

The pads can be cleaned and re-used, and they are cheap enough to buy more. They are supposed to fit on hagen, or aquaclear powerheads, but I sanded out the opening a little bigger so it would fit on a Maxi-jet.

just an FYI! :)

oh ya...most LFS's and the big chain stores carry these filters!

I got the 90 the rest of the way plumbed (what a headache, I absolutely hate plumbing) and the sand washed and in the tank. I washed each 40 lb. bag for about 15 minutes each so it took quite awhile, but MUCH LESS sediment. The tank is sitting about 3/4 full and waiting for the LR tonight. I will post pictures tonight hopefully!

By the way, I think I am getting a mix of Kaelini and Fiji. I am also getting 10 pounds of LS and 10 pounds of grunge mud from Premium to help seed the sand and silt mud stuff is for the fuge.