Days like this makes me want to quit

Not sure what happened still trying to clean up the mess. The skimmer section in sump is way too high and skimmer was running over. I caught it before too much water went in stand and on the floor. Guess I’ll start y checking salinity. 

97C83933-005F-42B1-942B-C4F671A376B2.jpeg

E5E41B73-FA0F-451B-B020-DF60900EB764.jpeg

CCF02347-6661-400D-AEDA-50EF2BD3FD22.jpeg

I don’t know why my pictures are upside down either. 

I’ve had 5 floods since the 180 was set up. All contained in the stand.  Water twice, snail blocked drain in the frag tank. It happened twice before I discovered the snail. My skimmer waste jug cause I must of accidentally turned the float switch off. One time calcium solution, another soda ash cracks in the bottom of a 1-1/2 gallon jug. You know that only happens when the jugs are completely full. I feel your pain.  

• Like 1

You are so positive on here all the time. It's not good to see you down. I forget to turn off the RO water regularly. It's a running joke I say don't worry Kimmy it's only a small flood. The spot on the floor looks small to me. It could have been a lot worse. Good luck fixing it so it won't do that again. Take care.

• Like 1

Amanda, so sorry that happened!

Like Luis, I have had several leak problems, an issue with an old HOB skimmer that over-flowed, and an issue with an external UV going bad. Both occurrences occurred on my existing tank in our family room... on carpet. I had to move the entire system to steam clean the carpet. 

Can you raise the level of your skimmer in so that it does not sit low in that section of the sump? (or conversley, can you change the level of water in that section of the sump?) 

Hope this gets worked out as stuff on the floor is frustrating.

Well what happened is I have a filter thing(kinda like a sponge, but it's not a sponge) in between the baffles where the water leaves the skimmer section and enters the return section that clogged. This caused water to back up into skimmer section so ato read low in return section and added more water.  So sump was way over filled and the skimmer overflowed. It is usually not in that deep of water. I usually make sure this is cleaned every few days,but I had a little accident about 4 months ago and was not able to take care of my tank. Rolled my ankle resulting in a fracture on top of my foot and a severely sprained ankle,which is still giving me problems and still under doctors care, but that's another story. Anyway I have been laid up for several weeks and was not able to do anything to my tank. My husband did feed the fish but that is the extent to his helping. lol  I am going to buy a skimmer auto shut off but not sure which one yet.

Looking at these two options:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-skimmer-security-autoaqua.html?fbclid=IwAR3x7aHvd8ckGiXs1S40eqE64ERj1F1mubyFOvGFHFBhV6WQbMBR8CbqAQc

or these  3 items:

https://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-skimmer-collection-cup-lid-with-float-switch

https://www.coralvue.com/varios-pump-controller-float-switch-1

https://www.coralvue.com/protein-skimmer-auto-time-delay

That sucks Amanda. I personally like the Smart skimmer security option. I’ve used it and it helps with overflowing when I do water changes and forget to leave the slimmer off until the level in that section goes down to the appropriate height. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear that Amanda.  I may have to look into this as well.  Twice in the last month my skimmer has overflowed.  Luckily it is contained in the stand.  My skimmer is typically the culprit of my overflows (a few operator errors as well).  I need to hook my leak detector so it will shut my skimmer off and I do like the autoaqua security option...may have to look into that as well.