New tank build 250DD !!

So I got my brother Aaron into the hobby about a yr ago, his son grew up looking at my tanks I’ve had for the last twelve yrs and has always asked for one, so I got them started with a 75g non drilled we bought out someones full setup(always the cheapest way to get started).

I was away living in Barbados this time last yr and the best I could do to help start him out was to find the right setup for him and video chat Many times to get him going. This last Christmas my family stayed with  his for about two wks and we upgraded the canisters and cheap lights the setup came with, with Kessils and a nice big bashsea sump with an overflow box! This was a much nicer setup for him, but they quickly were getting fish that was going to outgrow the tank and corals were crowding the tank. They were ready fora REAL upgrade, so I started putting my feelers out for something that fit their space!! 

Luckily for me and him we are living with his family temporarily, which is A HUGE pulling factor for him to do this upgrade bc a full tank swap is a bit over his head, as well as new plumbing and what equipment is best! So here we go! 

We got our hands on a 250g deep dimension 5’x3’x27” tank, stand, emerald trigger sump, 2 radion light rails, 5’ t5 4bulb kit, and a vertex omega 200 skimmer!!! 

I had a 60g tank I was planning on setting up when we moved so I set that up on the other side of the room, (this makes the swap so much easier so we didn’t have to try and do it all in one day), as well as a 29g quarantine tank to medicate all the new and old fish so we have a nice clean 250g! This part is all done!

544D8AF3-65F7-4AC8-A66C-D40F2E97DB83.jpeg

96F7FB85-C722-4617-A7B3-69CF682B76CB.jpeg

8D4F33F7-CA79-4E1E-B76E-65AAF4D60478.jpeg

6 hours ago, tanknovice said:

Sean

Your brother is in good hands. Having another tank to transfer everything into helps tremendously.

By the way did you tell him you will have to stay another year until the tank stabilizes.

😅😅😅😅Nice one ☝️. I am hoping with all the very mature rock and clean live sand we are putting in the new one it is pretty seemless. I have done this before with new rock(which is currently in a rubbermaid culturing) and old rock, it will be about half and half! If we get some algae blooms or what not I’m sure we’ll manage them! Although we may end up stuck here till the end of the yr anyways soo....it’s all up in the air for now

Dry plumbing done yesterday on the trigger emerald sump! Everything worked pretty well, except i was hoping to make space for three lines on the return for the manifold, only had space for two. Lmk what u think, before i glue it all in

23F13637-8EBB-4E00-A823-12A4CE29A1EE.jpeg

• Like 1

Sean

I could not see if the drain lines extended into the filter sock but on the 220 setup I extended it into the sock with an unglued coupling

Also on the return you might think about a t off of it and a valve in case you want to hook up a pellet, carbon and or calcium reactor later on

3 hours ago, tanknovice said:

Sean

I could not see if the drain lines extended into the filter sock but on the 220 setup I extended it into the sock with an unglued coupling

Also on the return you might think about a t off of it and a valve in case you want to hook up a pellet, carbon and or calcium reactor later on

If you look closely there are two Ts on the return, one for a UV and one for a BRS dual reactor to run purigen and gfo, but I didn’t put the ball valves on it yet and yes the drains do go down into the sump to reduce noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Fish and coral went in today. Used aquaforest cement to place coral rocks in, a bit of a hassle but seems to have worked well. Tank is still clearing up a bit and have equipment still to finish hooking up and wire management! Then done and time to start adding more!!

Thank for your comments guys, if anyone has some radion xr15 or 30s lmk. 

03B80B25-302D-43F4-880E-B6D36D8680BC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...