First post but long time meeting attendee ;)

Hi everyone. I finally decided to join INDMAS in addition to my son, Eric‘s account. We both attend the monthly meetings. It’s a joint effort. I have a torch that we’ve had a year and it all the sudden stays closed up all the time. All the tank parameters are checking out in good range. Including calcium and alk. Any suggestions? 

Welcome officially!

Hope you can make the summer social on Saturday

For the torches in my experience if parameters are ok then it is usually something livestock wise that has taken an interest in it. The other option could be flow,  if a powerhead has been changed either on purpose or accidently

Mike

Have there been any additions to the tank recently? Either fish or coral. Some fish will swim curiously close to (or even nip at) torch corals and if the torch isn’t used to it they will close until they become accustomed to the new behavior. 
Also, if there has been a new coral placed in the tank it could be a release of new chemicals that the torch doesn’t like. 

I've had these issues with Euphyilla.   In my case, not saying its yours, it wasn't good and the outcome wasn't good either.    I've narrowed it down to a change in temperature during waterchanges as everything else was spot on.  At least that is what I feel the reason for my losses.   I'm very careful now of the temperature of the tank and freshly mixed water.   My water volume is much lower than yours as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a hammerhead go belly up recently and it was due to a change in flow and lighting.  More the flow than the lighting.  I had removed a large leather coral from the middle of the tank where the flow from my wave makers meet which causes a strong downward flow in the middle of the tank.  This resulted in a strong flow of water directly on the hammer head.  The leather coral was over the hammerhead and reduced the flow in that area.  It was doing great before I removed the leather coral and within a week it was gone.  I have read that this can happen when the flow is too much and the soft tissue of the coral rubs against the sharp edges of the coral skeleton.

I found this on saltwateraquariumblog.com.  I am sure there are better articles out there.

"Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments."