maginter

Solution Found! Thanks for the help! Moving a Tank - Transporting Water

I apologize if this has been covered before.  I wasn't able to find anything recently.

I am getting ready to move.  I have a 65 gal. Reef with a 10 gal. sump.  How do you move the water from the tank for the relocation.  Obviously, you would want the containers to be easy to handle.  So I was thinking of 5 gal water bottles.  If you do the math, it would be about 80 gals, which would yield about 16-5 gal bottles. I have 7 bottle, but struggle with purchasing 9 more just for this move.  I see then for sale, used, but the prices seem high and honestly, not knowing the history scaries me a little.  

So, I am asking the collective.  Your comments are appreciated!

Mark

Five gallon buckets, easier to handle to me. I would only keep half of the old water. Then have some new mixed up and ready at the new location.

18 hours ago, tanknovice said:

May think about a couple of brut trashcans

then after the move could use for mixing stations

Already have that now.  I need to keep the water warm as I am transporting an hour away.  Brut cans will be to big and akeward for an SUV, but thanks for the thought.

18 hours ago, indymatt said:

Five gallon buckets, easier to handle to me. I would only keep half of the old water. Then have some new mixed up and ready at the new location.

This would be good.  With Lids, I could stack them.  

1 hour ago, maginter said:

This would be good.  With Lids, I could stack them.  

When I moved to Indy from Chicago, years ago, I did something similar using buckets with lids. OR even buckets with garbage can liner bags that can be tied shut to prevent splash or spills during the drive. You will have to figure on system disruption so having some purchased bacteria for the restart may help. If you need to borrow a few buckets w/o lids let me know.

Not sure about the best way to keep the water warm (Hand warmer packets and blankets around the outside of the bucket??. I'm sure there is a better way. Good Luck with the move!

Once you arrive at your destination pour the buckets into your brute trash can and warm the water.  Concentrate on keeping the 5 gallon buckets that contain the living creatures warm with several hand warmers or even find a car inverter that you can plug a heater into.

7164SYS5GUL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a black 35 gallon rubbermaid trash can that I used as my top-off water reservoir.  It is likely going to be tossed out soon, so you can have it free if you (or anyone else) can use it.  pm me if so.