New to the hobby. Tank question

BeltedCoyote

Hey everyone

so I purchased an oceanic tech 120g this past August, and I’m nearly ready to get it up and cycled. 

what I’m wondering is 2 fold. First, the tank is used and was leak free a day before I picked it up. I’ve noticed, however, that there is a little bit less silicon on an area of one of the corners. There’s definitely silicon still there, but it is a little less than everywhere else. Part 2, the tank was in my garage for a month before I got it situated in my apartment. But it’s been sitting in my apartment for about 4 months without water. And most likely will be dry for another month or two. I do have a 40b up and running with a few fish that has required top off so the air is not dry. 

my question is should I be concerned about the seals failing. I’m a member on R2R as well and have read all the horror stories about getting a tank filled only to have a seal fail. I got the DT, 40b, and stand for about a sixth of what a new 120g would cost. I just don’t know if I should be concerned enough to look into resealing the tank or not. 

thanks! 

• Like 1

I personally wouldn’t be concerned with any leaks do to dried up silicone. I had my 180 sit dry in a shed through winter and spring. Then sat at LFS for a bit and the warehouse for who knows how long. 

On a different note, being a used tank silicone can look torn, frayed, or uneven. Especially black silicone. Personally if I were you, had the time, skill, and confidence to reseal. Do it. I mean you already said you noticed something you didn’t like. Better to fix it now then waiting  till it’s stocked and it sticks out at you like a sore thumb.  
just my opinion 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, since it is already empty I would re-seal it now.  Better now while empty versus after the tank is set up, has live rock, fish, and coral that would need to be broken down if a leak developed later.  There are plenty of videos on line and many in the club have done this and have experience.  I recently resealed a 220G that I was setting up.  Probably didn't need it, but it was better to take care of it while it was empty just to be sure.  It is a lot of work and you do need to pay attention to the details so that you have a good water tight seal afterwards.

• Like 1