Another lighting thread

Fishy65

Planning a 125 build. 6ft long. I've been all over the internet looked at hundreds of reviews, and just cant seem to come to a solution for lighting. I am considering the Aquatic life 61" 4x80 w T5 hybrid fixture with 2 Kessil ap700's mounted in it. I will use 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ ATI T5 bulbs.

I want to do a mixed reef with a little of everything,  softies, LPS, and SPS. I've been out of the hobby for years and there are way more options and opinions than before. 

Thoughts on the choices? Anything different that would be recommended?

That would be a good light for the price, but keep in mind that it is not automatically  dimmable or controllable (you have to manually turn the knob on the top to dim the Kessil light. Therefore it is either on full or off, no ramping up or down the light intensity. Where the AI Prime and the Radion's are controllable so you can ramp them up and down, but more expensive. You could also go with the kessils and  add one Reef Brite LumiLite LED strip that is controllable or can be controlled with APEX. That way it could  ramp up and down and be your dusk to dawn effect before the other lights come on/off. It all depends on your budget and what you want to achieve. If the dusk to dawn effect is not important to you then go with your above choice.

Here is a good video in case you have not seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB0TKyKxlSo

Link to the Reef Brite light

https://www.reefbrite.com/product/lumi-lite-led/

Hope this helps

I was openly critical of the higher end lighting choices such as the Radions.  I have since upgraded to a deep dimension take where I need the spread of the G4 radions mated with the 24" wide aquatic life T5 hybrid fixture. I cannot even describe the difference in the coloration of the corals, now this was the same coral from my 60 cube now in a 200 gallon plus system so there are a lot of variables.  However, these are quality units that have in my opinion really upgraded the lighting quality in my tank.  With the T5's here is far less shading and much to my surprise to still get a slight shimmer.  

I "hotwired" the AL fixture to where I can switch on the two inside or two outside lights, stock setup is the two front or rear bulbs on/off.  In this way I can turn on the two outside actinic bulbs on a half hour before and after the radions turn on. Then turn on the coral plus about an hour or so and then ramp the radions up/down throughout the day.  AL does now make a dimmable fixture but it is considerably more than the standard fixture and as of two months ago only came in a 12" width. 

The rewiring of the fixture was not difficult but does void the manufacturers warranty.  I followed a youtube tutorial on how to rewire the fixtures. I will link tonight after I get home from work.

• Like 1

I also looked at the kessil 360w but a lot of the reviews I read said after 2 years they were junk. Anyone else have this happen or is it isolated? I want LEDS so I dont have to replace MH bulbs. That's what I used to run