Who are you?

PaulS.46122

I've been here awhile, and I know a few of you from meetings.   However I don't get around to meetings as much as I would like too, or my introverted self doesn't reach out to try and get to know you all as much as I would like.   So in spirit of learning more about you, and to try and get a little participation going on these forums I'm starting this thread.    I hope you all participate in some way or another to not only help me learn more about you, but help others as well.    I always feel so lost at the swap or meetings, so maybe this will make us all feel a bit more comfortable.

Maybe this will mold into a new chat thread for people that might want to chat about their tanks, the reefing community, and life in general.

Name:

Age or Age Range: 

Twitter/Instagram:  

Where are you from? 

Type of Tank(s): 

Photo(s) of you:

Full Tank Shot(s):  

Favorite tank pic(s):

How long have you been in the hobby?  

What do you like most about the hobby?  

Other pets:  

Other hobbies:  

Work: 

Favorite food:  

Favorite music: 

Favorite movies/shows:    

Something else you’d like to share about yourself:   

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I'll get the ball rolling

Name: Paul

Age or Age Range: 38

Twitter/Instagram:  Twitter: @tehSAC  Instagram: @tehSAC_reef

Where are you from? Danville

Type of Tank(s): 10 Gallon Innovative Marine NUVO All In One Cube

Photo(s) of you:  IMG_3023.thumb.JPG.ecb613286201a9fdb4dbaf2ca89eb629.JPG

Full Tank Shot(s):  IMG_4230.thumb.JPG.f2d7e03878cad34c98178613591d3ea6.JPG

Favorite tank pic(s):  IMG_4200.thumb.JPG.258e9102bc0bca912fa3ef516ee820b8.JPG

How long have you been in the hobby?  Saltwater: Just over 3 Years   Freshwater: 15 Years

What do you like most about the hobby?  Anytime I'm around my tank I can relax and feel like I'm in a tropical paradise.   Especially on those cold winter days.

Other pets:  2 Dogs, 6 cats (not all indoors)

Other hobbies: I love to travel from short road trips to international travel.   In October my oldest daughter and I traveled to Tokyo Japan and loved every second of it.   Itching to get back to explore more.  I also love to build plastic model kits and have been getting into Gundam/Star Wars Bandai kits as of late.   Other interests are BBQ'ing/Smoking, Coaching Softball,  racing,  flying drones, and trying new foods/restaurants.   

Work:  I work in the Civil Engineering field, more specifically surveying.   I've been working in this field since 2002, but started off in Road and Bridge design.   I have dabbled in pretty much every aspect of civil engineering since then, but surveying is something I have found that I enjoy the most.    The firm I work for is one of a handful in the state that has the ability to use drones to acquire data for surveying purposes, and I am apart of that team.    Flying a drone was never something I thought I could/would do, but it has been very rewarding, and knowing I am one of a few in our state that not only flys but processes the data is a cool feeling.    The hardest part of it all was acquiring my license from the FAA.   

Favorite food:  This varies because there are so many amazing foods out there, but if I had to boil it down, Street Tacos or Pineapple.   I'm always seeking out new restaurants to try in the city or surrounding states.

Favorite music: I have an eclectic taste that varies from week to week.   I don’t care for classical or country music.   Some of my favorite bands include: Foo Fighters, Motion City Soundtrack, The Story So Far, Knuckle Puck, and Blink 182.

Favorite movies/shows:  I don't watch a lot of TV, but That 70's Show was always a favorite of mine.    I'm more interested in travel vlogs on youtube, documentaries, or anything related to Star Wars.   Which in turn is my favorite movie.   

Something else you’d like to share about yourself:   I'm a very introverted person, unless we are discussing something that really interests me, or if I am traveling.   I've been described as standoffish or odd in the past, but I just don't do well in groups more than 3-4 people.   Unless I am at a race track, coaching, or traveling..   🤷‍♂️   Once I get to know people I come out of my shell a bit more, so if we have met and I have been quiet this is probably why.   I apologize for any feeling of rudeness from me, it was not intentional.

• Like 1

I'll play along with this one

Name: Ryan Sweet

Age or Age Range: 41

Twitter/Instagram:  Nope

Where are you from? Indianapolis (45mins northeast actually, town called Warrington)

Type of Tank(s): 75gal mixed reef with a 120 waiting to be setup. 40gal breeder species specific for my Odont mantis

Photo(s) of you: Will upload pics later maybe

Full Tank Shot(s):  

Favorite tank pic(s):

How long have you been in the hobby?  21yrs salt, appx 1yr fresh

What do you like most about the hobby?  The challenges of keeping a full biosphere in my home

Other pets:  4 hairless cats (3 Sphynx, 1 Donskoy)

Other hobbies:  Wood working

Work: IT

Favorite food: Seafood

Favorite music: Too wide to name a favorite

Favorite movies/shows: Shawshank Redemption, ET, The Office

Something else you’d like to share about yourself: I'm classified as an extroverted introvert, so if I talk to you at one point in time then completely ignore you the next time I see you don't take it personal. It's just how my brain works...

• Like 2

Name:  Luis Gonzalez 

Age or Age Range: 32

Twitter/Instagram:  @g0nz0620

Where are you from?  Well I would have to say I grew up in Lafayette Indiana. I was however born in Massachusetts.

Type of Tank(s): 180 Gallon and a 50 Gallon Frag Tank. 

Photo(s) of you: This is the Gonzalez Posse 
2A8ECBE3-77B2-44D9-8333-C4C8E1FA4F25.thumb.jpeg.32a351625a3857389e577f91d2284298.jpeg

Full Tank Shot(s):  

Favorite tank pic(s):

E9F59DC0-182C-44DE-ADFC-0F8D84886AC9.thumb.jpeg.63ca05927809ffb8881969582ee5ca78.jpeg

How long have you been in the hobby?  I’ve been going at it since 2013!

What do you like most about the hobby?  I like how inexpensive and hassle free it is... 

Other pets:  We have 2 cats.

Other hobbies:  

Work: Sheet Metal Worker Local 20 

Favorite food:  Love Love Love Chinese Food!!

Favorite music: Anything but Country 

Favorite movies/shows:  There are so many movies and show I like. I’ll name a few. Forest Gump, Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Dexter, Law and Order SVU, Handmaids Tale, Walking Dead Game of Thrones.

Something else you’d like to share about yourself: 🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷

• Like 1

Name: Kyle Price

Age or Age Range: 27

Twitter/Instagram:  N/A

Where are you from? Indiana

Type of Tank(s): mixed reef, Fowler, macro planted (in the works)

Photo(s) of you: will upload later

Full Tank Shot(s):  

Favorite tank pic(s):

How long have you been in the hobby?  Going on 4 years

What do you like most about the hobby?  All the different fish, corals, and aquatic life

Other pets:  3 dogs (+8 puppies), 2 cats, and a chameleon 

Other hobbies: video games, 3d printing, fishing, and motorcycles, drone flying

Work: California custom fruits and flavors opens on Feb. 10th. Hired in the sanitation department. The company manufactures flavors for ice cream, pastries, other baked goods, yogurts, and will be venturing into beers later this year.

Favorite food:  I am an fan of burgers. The bigger the burger, the better the challenge 

Favorite music: I listen to a little of everything. Just depends on the mood I'm in and what I am doing

Favorite movies/shows:  rick and morty (Pickle Rick!), Vikings, Transformers, Avengers,  and best for last is Starwars

Something else you’d like to share about yourself:  I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 22 years now. 

20 hours ago, ryansweet said:

Something else you’d like to share about yourself: I'm classified as an extroverted introvert, so if I talk to you at one point in time then completely ignore you the next time I see you don't take it personal. It's just how my brain works...

Dude that is totally me, but never really knew a good description.   

17 hours ago, Gonzo620 said:

What do you like most about the hobby?  I like how inexpensive and hassle free it is... 

Oh man how did I miss not listing that.   🤣

4 minutes ago, SilentNight1793 said:

Favorite movies/shows:  rick and morty (Pickle Rick!), Vikings, Transformers, Avengers,  and best for last is Starwars

Okay being a Star Wars Fan, what is your favorite film?   Or should I ask, how would you rank all of the films?

5 hours ago, PaulS.46122 said:

Dude that is totally me, but never really knew a good description.   

Oh man how did I miss not listing that.   🤣

Okay being a Star Wars Fan, what is your favorite film?   Or should I ask, how would you rank all of the films?

My favorite film will always be attack of the clones. But the new series on Disney plus (The Mandalorian) is probably going to take the top spot. I have been a big fan of the bounty hunters and general grievous. As for ranking all the films,  it really just depends on what portion of the star wars universe you find yourself interested in. Each movie plays into one another and back fills portions that were missing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilentNight1793 said:

I am a big fan of stormtroopers as well. I have contemplated printing a whole suit with the 3d printer. 

Interesting!   I’ve always wanted a full scale helmet.  

I actually finished this guy tonight.  

https://imgur.com/a/44mAhwg

C7EB2E48-5BC8-4878-8C09-D684E3C3FD5B.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulS.46122 said:

Interesting!   I’ve always wanted a full scale helmet.  

I actually finished this guy tonight.  

https://imgur.com/a/44mAhwg

C7EB2E48-5BC8-4878-8C09-D684E3C3FD5B.jpeg

That is awesome.  I am trying to get my 3d printer leveled out so it prints right. Once it is going, I will be working on some nice prints. 

• Like 1

Name: Orlando Clark

Age or Age Range: 33

Twitter/Instagram:  rajilnaja

Where are you from? Born in North Carolina, spent my entire adult life in Indy, currently living in the southport area.

Type of Tank(s): 80 lps heavy reef

Photo(s) of you: FB_IMG_1579944172798.thumb.jpg.0d036aa42225490e9b77ae75208f02ca.jpg

Full Tank Shot(s):  

Favorite tank pic(s):

How long have you been in the hobby?  3 years

What do you like most about the hobby?  The challenge 

Other pets:  just a cat

Other hobbies:  standard nerd stuff, gaming, comics, reptiles despite not actively housing any at this time, fishing, squatting in modernaquatix

Work:  I'm a patient access advocate for a drug manufacturer. Short and non NDA breaching answer... when you see those commercials for prescriptions and it says to contact us if you cant afford this drug, I'm the case manager that would assist you.

Favorite food:  varies, but I also have the palate of a small child.

Favorite music: most things, but independent and socially conscious hip hop take the number 1 spot.

Favorite movies/shows:   currently Jojo's bizarre, I'm in a weird anime phase right now.

Something else you’d like to share about yourself: I'm sure I've ran into a lot of you either at the swap or modernaquatix. Despite being the unusual combination of nerd and extrovert, I have yet to make it to a meeting.

• Like 2

Name: Ross Winters

Age or Age Range:  38

Instagram:  Rossmwinters

Where are you from?  Rushville Indiana

Type of Tank(s):  800g

Photo(s) of you:

79039249_10112675840156648_246484256107266048_o.thumb.jpg.3f09d3c1b9a91dec739627a6362bcbb6.jpg

Full Tank Shot(s):  

20200117_171223.thumb.jpg.905f33acc18592a126ab670a4d4c5bf2.jpg

How long have you been in the hobby?  14 years.  (13 years in INDMAS)

What do you like most about the hobby?   I enjoy the tank build as much as i do the enjoyment of a finished tank.

Other pets:  1 Dog

Other hobbies:  Golf,  Snowsking, Bowling

Work:  Owner - Winters Homes, Custom home building

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:18 PM, PaulS.46122 said:

I've been here awhile, and I know a few of you from meetings.   However I don't get around to meetings as much as I would like too, or my introverted self doesn't reach out to try and get to know you all as much as I would like.   So in spirit of learning more about you, and to try and get a little participation going on these forums I'm starting this thread.    I hope you all participate in some way or another to not only help me learn more about you, but help others as well.    I always feel so lost at the swap or meetings, so maybe this will make us all feel a bit more comfortable.

Maybe this will mold into a new chat thread for people that might want to chat about their tanks, the reefing community, and life in general.

Name:Roger Pedersen 

Age or Age Range: 49

Twitter/Instagram:  

Where are you from? Logansport, Indiana 

Type of Tank(s): 2 32g bio-cube (my wife's and the other is mine)

Photo(s) of you:

Full Tank Shot(s):  

Favorite tank pic(s):

How long have you been in the hobby?  Off and on since 2003

What do you like most about the hobby?  Corals 

Other pets:  1 dog and  2 cats 

Other hobbies:  hunting, fishing, shooting and collecting antique cookie jars oh going to concerts.

Work: Laborer/ Fuel Technician at a cement plant 

Favorite food:  

Favorite music: a little of everything 

Favorite movies/shows:    

Something else you’d like to share about yourself:   I'm a veteran of 21 years and  10 months.  Besides my wife it's what I'm most proud of 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Name: Ben Meyaard

Age or Age Range: 39

Twitter/Instagram:  i don’t actively participate in twitter, but you can dig up all my terribly former thoughts at bmeyaard and BenMeyaard and there was a local news troll account at one point ...

Where are you from? Flat Rock, Indiana. I’ve lived in 10-counties but never out of state.

Type of Tank(s): 40 breeder

Photo(s) of you: 

Full Tank Shot(s):  

IMG_20180808_212924973.jpg

Favorite tank pic(s):

How long have you been in the hobby?  Since 2011 when a friend moved out of state and left me a 5g, 3-rock, 1fish, I pump, no filter unit, and an rodi unit and said ... good luck, do your water changes, your kids will love it

What do you like most about the hobby? The idea that Indiana can be a part of the #thirdcoast and keep oceans near us too... I have one of those three rocks still.

Other pets: no, I’m a divorced dad with four kids who drew the line at no further pets. 

Other hobbies:  disc golf, super Mario maker, chartguys/technical analysis,

Work: TORAY accounting supervisor, moonlighting as INDMAS treasurer

Favorite food:  yes please... anything set out with care for others

Favorite music: Umphrey’s McGee. You all above said “not country”... I like lots of not-pop country. I enjoy blue grass, western, folk etc. .haha

Favorite movies/shows:  peaky blinders, sons of anarchy, true detective, the wire, spongebob, macgyver, simpsons, and not many marvel/superhero movies.

Something else you’d like to share about yourself: my tank took a back burner in 2018-2019, so I’m looking forward to the 2020 swap to kickstart my enthusiasm while I ride everyone else’s excitement.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Name:Derrick Lambert

Age or Age Range: 39

Twitter/Instagram:  

Where are you from? Lafayette IN

Type of Tank(s): reefs and 1 small freshwater

How long have you been in the hobby?  Just got back into the hobby about 2 months ago after a 10-12 year hiatus!

What do you like most about the hobby?  The chance to always be learning something new!

Other pets:  3 great danes

Other hobbies: wife and I love to do out doorsy stuff like fish and hunt or go camping!

Work: heavy repair at Subaru here in Lafayette

Favorite food:  I’ve always been the chubby kid sonthere isn’t much I don’t like!

Favorite music: grew up on country music but I listen to a wide variety 

Favorite movies/shows: I watch a lot of different stuff...sad that supernatural is over, been watching a lot of older stuff on streaming services   

5BCAF83A-0CA4-47AD-972A-DCEA4BDB1EDC.jpeg

• Like 1