Planning for upgraded tank

Hi All,

I am planning on upgrading to a new 180g tank next spring (I currently have a 125 gallon).  With this size tank, it is worth investing in low-iron glass?  I haven't seen the low iron and standard glass side by side to know if the difference is noticeable.  

Thanks for your input!

Laura

My last tank was a 210 with regular glass and now I have a rimless with the same thickness glass but low iron and the difference is very noticeable to me and I would choose low iron if costs are not outrageous. It is probably a hundred or two difference for the front panel to be low iron unless someone is really trying to mark it up.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, coralfarm123 said:

My last tank was a 210 with regular glass and now I have a rimless with the same thickness glass but low iron and the difference is very noticeable to me and I would choose low iron if costs are not outrageous. It is probably a hundred or two difference for the front panel to be low iron unless someone is really trying to mark it up.

Really good info to know for future reference. Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm going with the Planet Aquarium tank.  My only question is that the standard tank has a single overflow in the middle.  When I started reading about optimal overflow placement, I saw that several people recommended external overflows but that these can require thicker glass.  Thoughts on pros and cons of internal and external overflows and optimal placement?

Edited by Blue Reef

• 1 month later...

This project will be going in spurts for a while.  This weekend we looked into the possibility of creating a fish room/closet as part of the basement remodel.  It looks like I am going to get about a 6' 10" x ~4' space to work with with plenty of access to drains/water supply. We will basically build it out as a closet, so there will be two doors that open out making access to everything very easy. The only downside is that it is on the opposite side of the basement from where I would like the display tank. It won't be a big deal to run plumbing through the ceiling to get water from the fish room to the tank, but I am trying to think through the best way to set this up. If I can, I would like to have an automatic water changing system. This is what I am thinking and would love feedback on this:

Have the sump, skimmer, water station with a container for fresh water and one for salt water, and a small utility sink in the fish closet. The ATO and water changing system would need to run here too. This will take some strategic planning, but I can get everything to fit. I would need to have a pump powered enough to run the water from the sump back up and over to the display tank. The display tank would then drain into a frag tank inside the stand. I would need a matching return pump in the frag tank to send the water back up and over to the sump that sits in the fish room.  

Another option is to keep the sump in the stand. My water source feeding the ATO and water changing system would be in the closet. The lines to the tank would need to run through the ceiling. I was concerned about the potential future need to change them out, but if I ran a PVC conduit through the ceiling, I could simply attach new supply line to the old and pull it through. What I was less sure of here was how well the pumps for the ATO and water changing system would work because of the distance.

Thoughts? It would be a lot simpler to put the tank on the wall next to the fish room, but I wouldn't see it as much because of the layout of the basement. With it on the wall we have planned, we can see it from the main seating area. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts about the plan to run the PVC up and across the room via the ceiling?  Just want to make sure I am not asking for disaster with this.

The other option would be to put the sump in the stand under the tank and run the ATO/AWC through the ceiling from the fish room to the tank.

Edited by Blue Reef