Did you ever take a break from the hobby?

I have had a tank in my life for almost 10 years straight now, and I am starting to feel a little burnt out on it. The funny thing is, my tank has never been better, It's full of healthy fish and corals, and is amazingly beautiful, but somehow it just feels like work. Has anyone experienced this, and did you take a break from the hobby, or find another way to rekindle the excitement?

Yep. I’ve had salt in my life for over 20yrs. I took a break when I moved back to Indiana after spending 4yrs in Florida. Then a couple years after that, I broke down my tank and was tankless for about 8mos (had a Red Sea 34gal that I accidentally crushed my starry blenny while moving rocks to clean and it crashed my tank). After breaking that tank down I swore I’d never have another because it had become “work” to me, and I had other things going on. But then I went to a friends house who had a tank and that was it. It’s been 7yrs since my 75gal has been up and I’m in the process of upgrading to a 120gal. Sometimes it’s good to take a break now and then, but I think (for me anyway) there will never be a long time that I don’t have something up and running. 

• 1 year later...

Burn out can happen.  Sometimes breaks are warranted.  I’ve had saltwater for 43 yrs.  (Thats not a typo!).  Literally, The inception of the hobby. Experienced burnout from time to time myself.   Sometimes life becomes more complicated limiting the time with a system.  The once enjoyment becomes something else to do, and then it turns into a job taking the fun out of it.  Happened to me.  I can’t see myself without a tank, but i have reinvented what i keep to ignite the spark.  Have had macro algae tanks with mangroves and different livestock.   A Caribbean biotope.  I found reinventing and simplifying a system can help, however, breaks can be good to refocus until the next system.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well I may have skipped the build thread so I just got the equipment and got the tank cycling. The hope is to have the tank in a good place by April 2nd. Heard there was some event I should join.  Now that it’s cycling I’ll do a post build recap. Does anyone know the best way to upload photos to display? If I try to use my iPhone it says attachment to large.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:36 PM, tprize said:

Well I may have skipped the build thread so I just got the equipment and got the tank cycling. The hope is to have the tank in a good place by April 2nd. Heard there was some event I should join.  Now that it’s cycling I’ll do a post build recap. Does anyone know the best way to upload photos to display? If I try to use my iPhone it says attachment to large.

I have to email my phone pictures to myself then use my laptop to resize them. I use Paint that came with my computer to reduce the pixels to 600 x 800 then upload them. There may be editing software for your phone to do this but I don’t have one on my phone or know what app that would be. It is a hassle but it works. 

On 1/15/2022 at 9:36 PM, tprize said:

You can do it from your iPhone super easy. 

1.Add File 

2.Choose from Photo Library 

3. Pick your Photo 

4. At the bottom it will say show selected. Click that. 59C81B73-E9CA-43FF-969B-E094E88F5669.jpeg.db3d485da470aaf3fb5f9d1d2920b110.jpeg
5. Bottom right corner Actual Size. Click that. Pick a Size. EE62D1FE-C414-4E18-A942-AB6D53E837DE.thumb.jpeg.f12f3d6d29420a177d523c805ae48779.jpeg
6. Then Add Done