Rescue Needed ASAP

I have been struggling to get my tank to a sustainable condition and it has been a losing battle.  After slow progression it has been one battle after another; cyano, algae, water chemistry, and now over the past few months I’ve lost probably a half dozen fish and am now down to a single clown fish, a hawk fish, a beautiful red striped shrimp who’s over two inches long, and a starfish. (Late update: I just saw the Foxface he’s still with us.)

They need a home Immediately.

I’m exiting the hobby but I need someone to provide a foster home to my remaining critters.  They show no signs of disease but quarantine is strongly recommended just to be sure.

I want nothing for them except to know that they have a shot at living somewhere.  I will deliver within a reasonable area, though I live south of Columbus so it may be a drive no matter what.

Please take my fish.

Please.

john dot freas at gmail dot com

Edited by John Freas

On 5/4/2019 at 12:41 PM, John Freas said:

I have been struggling to get my tank to a sustainable condition and it has been a losing battle.  After slow progression it has been one battle after another; cyano, algae, water chemistry, and now Over the past few months I’ve lost probably a half dozen fish and am now down to a single clown fish, a hawk fish, a beautiful red striped shrimp who’s over two inches long, and a starfish.

They need a home Immediately.

I’m exiting the hobby but I need someone to provide a foster home to my remaining critters.  They show no signs of disease but quarantine is strongly recommended just to be sure.

i want nothing for them except to know that they have a shot at living somewhere.  I will deliver within a reasonable area, though I live south of Columbus so it may be a drive no matter what.

Please take my fish.

Please.

Many thanks to Gonzo620 for coming today to rescue my fish today.   I hope they will recover and live healthy fishy lives under his care.

I also got some good advice and counseling so I’m not going to take down the tank.  Instead I’m going to leave it empty of fish to hopefully stabilize and give whatever germs may be in there time to die out for lack of a host.  The recommendation was two months and that sounds fine.  I’ll probably black it out for at least half of that time to eradicate any cyano and algae that are hanging around, then if things look ok I’ll start again with a few fish and work up.

Thanks again for the help.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

John, I am glad to see that you are going to give it another try.  I am also happy to see that your found a home for your fish with Luis.  He will take great care of them!  I am still going through new tank syndrome on my tank so I was not in a position to take them.  I am going through the cyano phase right now.

• Like 1

I’m very grateful to Luis for all of his help.  We’ll see what happens with the tank.  

I didn’t know Cyano was a phase.  If so I’ve been intermittently in and out of it for about a year.  Not sure how to get past that particular phase.

• Like 1

I am going to try Dr. Tim's.  I added Waste Away (which had a negative impact on my Chaeto) already and will know try to get the good bacteria up by adding Dr. Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria.  It is supposed to help with new tank syndrome.  After that I will add Dr. Tim's Eco-Balance which is supposed to add "friendly, supportive bacteria to maintain a balanced environment with specific probiotics against vibrios and blocks out unfriendly bacteria"...  We'll see...  Apparently you are not supposed to use two of these treatments at the same time so this will take a few weeks.  I have not been running my skimmer in hopes that I don't get rid of the good bacteria and trying to use the Chaeto to replace the skimmer.  When I set up my 125 when I first got into this, it took a good year for the tank to settle in and for Cyano to stop showing up in my tank.  The good thing is that while cyano is a nuisance and not pretty to look at, it can be vacuumed out fairly easily (it is a hassle and time consuming though).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, waldend said:

I need to get these all copied over (I cant put .pdfs on the forums) and into a thread but here is Dr Tim's recipe for what you are trying to do.  

ACA92173-557E-4375-9A31-114CD71C3DF0.jpeg

Thanks Ben!  I was trying to get this posted but couldn't.

Yes, I have been using it.  I have to say, I am pretty impressed.  The cyano is gone for the most part.  Still not using a skimmer, using Chaeto and Dr. Tim's.  The only issue I am running into is that the good bacteria is competing with the Chaeto and it is actually dying off.  I am cutting back on the Dr. Tim's to give the Chaeto more nutrients to grow.

• Like 1