Water chemistry

I tested my water tonight and my alkalinity (carbonate hardness) is at 196.9 and calcium is at 340.  I have the esv bionic 2 part but haven’t been using because the alk has been higher.    My question is how do I raise the calcium without raising the alkalinity?  I just did a 10% water change last night. I have been using the premixed salt water from The Reef.  As always thank you all for your help!

You’ve probably heard this before, but getting your own RODI filter is one of the most important things you can do for your tank. That way you can better control what goes into your water. 

If you just dose the calcium part of the 2 part, you will be able to raise calcium without raising alkalinity. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with only dosing one or the other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

196.9 ppm = 11 DKH. Your alk could be high from overdosing. If you stopped using the two part cause your alk was high only stop using the alk portion of the two part, and continued to does the calcium solution. You may need to dose slightly different amounts. 

Another thing to look at is the salt. What is The Reef using for salt these days. If it’s  an elevated alk salt, you are contributing to the alk imbalance. Test the new water to see where it’s at before performing a water change. 

• Thanks 1

I am looking into getting the RO/DI filter (I found one used fairly cheap lol).  

The Reef said they use Reef Flowers salt in their mix.  I had tested it and the levels were normal but I’ll test it again tonight to double check!  

I am so grateful for this club!  Everyone has been so helpful and kind!  

• Like 1

SuP3rMaN0814 I also use Instant Ocean in my nano.   Actually using the reef crystals from IO.  

For water, and I may get flamed for this, but I just use Distilled Water from Walmart.   I have been using it since I started my tank over 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, PaulS.46122 said:

SuP3rMaN0814 I also use Instant Ocean in my nano.   Actually using the reef crystals from IO.  

For water, and I may get flamed for this, but I just use Distilled Water from Walmart.   I have been using it since I started my tank over 2 years ago.

I thought about doing that.  Hope no one flames you too bad!  If it works for you it works lol!  I bought a used ro/di unit from a guy hopefully it works lol. 

3 hours ago, PaulS.46122 said:

Paul, I let you put one of my octospawns in Walmart water?!?! Lol, kidding. If it works for you, there isn't a huge reason to change it. I like the rodi because I know what's in it (mostly a control freak thing, lol)

38 minutes ago, SuP3rMaN0814 said:

The used ro/di unit I bought looks like the waste water line is being cycled back through the ro membrane.   Anyone know if this is normal?

That doesn't sound normal. If you run the wast back into the membrane, it will just use the membrane faster as it will be trying to filter the already filtered waste water again. It should just be a tube that you can run into a drain (sink, washing machine, collection for watering plants, out the window, etc)

18 hours ago, ryansweet said:

Paul, I let you put one of my octospawns in Walmart water?!?! Lol, kidding. If it works for you, there isn't a huge reason to change it. I like the rodi because I know what's in it (mostly a control freak thing, lol)

That doesn't sound normal. If you run the wast back into the membrane, it will just use the membrane faster as it will be trying to filter the already filtered waste water again. It should just be a tube that you can run into a drain (sink, washing machine, collection for watering plants, out the window, etc)

So after further review I think this is the waste water line.  I just don’t know why it has a ball valve on it. 

E476CA93-BBE6-4106-BF0A-79D4D1EF7814.jpeg

That is likely a flush for the RO membrane.  The other branch is a restriction for proper backpressure.  You open that valve ocassionally to allow a high flow past the membrane which flushes debris from it and helps extend the life.    Unless I am looking at that pic wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PetesFolly said:

I agree with Daniel.  I have a similar set up on mine and it is for flushing the RO membrane.  You close it to make water and open it to flush the membrane of excess debris.

Yeah after looking at a diagram I realized that’s what it was LOL.  

• Like 1

Looks like the metal is the only spot for it. Why can’t you put it in the metal? Drill and tap the metal for a 1/4” quick to 1/4”npt. It’s what I did. Granted I did it into plastic, but it will work the same in metal. Here’s a pic of mine. 

080EBC58-368D-41A7-B797-4B37E4F7E5DD.thumb.jpeg.036b0b33100e08b70fea6325589ab595.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1