15 minutes ago, tanknovice said:

Wanted to update everyone that the show is still a go for Saturday

We also added a couple of Nero pumps and a couple of Radions for the raffle 

👍

Gotta be present to win right?   

2 hours ago, tanknovice said:

Wanted to update everyone that the show is still a go for Saturday

We also added a couple of Nero pumps and a couple of Radions for the raffle 

Mike, with all due respect and for the well being of everyone who will be attending the swap, I think the staff should step back and analyse if going through with the swap is the best decision. It just takes one person showing up that doesn't realize that they have the virus to make things that much worse. I'm not saying to cancel the event but to see if even rescheduling to a later date would be better option. I'm not involved enough to know if that is even an option or to know how much this will impact the club, so I am only voicing my concern. 

• Like 1

Alan

I truly appreciate your concern. I have spoken with the other board members , vendors, Hendricks County Health Department and Hendricks County fairgrounds. While attending the swap is everyone's individual choice unless Hendricks County Health Department says we cannot have the event then we should move forward.  The fairgrounds has assured me there will be plenty of hand sanitizer our food truck vendor went through what he needed to today with Hendricks County Health Department. I also want to let everyone now that due to recent travel Richard Ross will be Skyping in for his presentation and Q & A versus in person. 

I hope that we have a great turnout this year but I do understand anyone who decides not to attend due to COVID 19

I am always available to answer any questions and especially if there is something I am missing

Mike

317-730-7049

I hope everything goes well this weekend.  My wife, a nurse, would rather my daughter and I avoid crowds at this time.   Bummer cause I had cash to burn but I’ll save it for another time.  

I am in the health care industry as well and will be attending the event.  While everyone should practice proper health care (washing your hands, not touching your face, and I think given the current state of affairs we can opt out on shaking hands and hugs), I support that we should move forward with the frag swap.  I work in the health care industry on a daily basis and I am aware of the situation we are facing. At the same time, if you have any symptoms of a cold, the typical flu, or corona virus please use the advice that has been given and stay home to self quarantine to minimize the spread of your illness.  The cost to post pone this event and reschedule for a later time in the year plus the effort that goes into this by volunteers and vendors drove the decision to keep moving forward. The only option viable would be to cancel this year's Frag Swap entirely.  While we expect that attendance will be lower due to the Corona Virus, we respect that everyone will need to make their own decision on attending the INDMAS frag swap for 2020.

• Like 3

santor33, I was really looking forward to this years INDMAS frag swap event BUT I’ve been to many of these events in the past. I’ve been shoulder to shoulder, people rubbing my back side to get a peak I have looked over people to get a peak myself. At 69 years old and the Coronavirus hitting here in Indiana I feel it would be in my best interests to say home at this time. Sorry! 

After a ten year plus hiatus, I just got back into the hobby a year ago.  My son and I are really looking forward to attending saturday as it has been a long time since I have been to the frag swap.  I really appreciate all the legwork and planning the club has done to make this event happen!    

• Like 1

My friends and I will not be attending this year. Kind of crazy that this is still going ahead. It takes more than just washing hands to prevent spreading germs and as C-19 is in the respiratory system the 6ft rule is just as important if not more so than just washing your hands & having hand sanitizers available. The NBA, March Madness, schools & universities are closing/suspending operations to help prevent the spread which although doesn't necessarily affect the majority of the population it does put those in certain age brackets, or people with existing respiratory issues and already compromised immune systems at a far higher risk of developing a life threatening condition. I really hope that you guys reconsider having the frag swap this weekend and at the very least push it to a later date in a few months time or something. The later you leave it to cancel the worse it will be for everyone and there is more at stake than $ and time. 

Edited by hawaiifavo
spelling correction
  • Like 2

We certainly appreciate all the comments and the severity of the Corona Virus.  We also understand the importance of doing our part to PREVENT the spread of the virus to avoid the infection; especially for those that are older or already have compromised health conditions.  Due to the amount of planning and coordination that it takes to hold a Frag Swap (it takes at least 6 months) it is likely that if we cancel this weekends event it will be cancelled for the year.  We are monitoring the actions across the nation and world to slow the spread of the Corona Virus.  We continue to evaluate the feasibility of continuing with the event and will keep everyone apprised.  Keep in mind, the frag swap is put together by a handful of volunteers (under 10 - that also have careers and personal lives to attend to).  It would be great if we had the man power and time to coordinate pushing this event back a few months.  Summer is a very difficult time to hold a swap due to vacations/commitments; therefore, fall would be better.  Although, fall also has MACNA and other swaps (including our own retro frag swap) to contend with.  If we move this back to the winter, we are encroaching on next year's Frag Swap.  As stated previously, if we cancel the frag swap for this weekend, it will most likely need to be cancelled for this year entirely.  That will be evaluated once we make a final decision for this weekend.  Please know that the staff of INDMAS has been agonizing over this unprecedented situation, we are in no way, shape or form taking this lightly, we are having an incredible amount of discussion on this daily (again, we appreciate the comments that we have received) and do realize that we also need to consider our social/community responsibilities as well.  When you look at the events from Sunday through yesterday, things have taken a drastic change.  We are aware that public gatherings, travel, sporting events, school (including Universities), church attendance, etc. are being cancelled and with good reason.   We also know that the amount of traffic will be severely reduced.  It will not be shoulder to shoulder this year.  Having said that, staying 6 feet away from someone coughing will still be difficult.  We also have vendors that have already cancelled and it's likely that more are still evaluating if they will attend.  We respect everyone's decision and concerns and will continue to evaluate this throughout the day today and keep everyone informed as well as we can.  Personally, I am in Kentucky working in the field with the medical community which includes Health Care Providers in the outpatient setting and working with the hospitals in the area.  I have been soliciting their advice as well during my office visits.  I will be driving back to Indianapolis today (running out of Lysol spray and hand sanitizer, ...and yes, I am taking the TP from the hotel room 😉 ) and will continue to converse with the rest of the staff as to whether or not to proceed with the event.  The one thing we can all agree on is that this is an unprecedented situation.  Either way we go, we are going to meet resistance.  Lastly, the $$$$$ are NOT a part of the conversation (I am disappointed that this was even brought up).  We are a non-profit club.  We will lose money on this event for this year regardless of our decision and that is just the way it is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PetesFolly said:

We certainly appreciate all the comments and the severity of the Corona Virus.  We also understand the importance of doing our part to PREVENT the spread of the virus to avoid the infection; especially for those that are older or already have compromised health conditions.  Due to the amount of planning and coordination that it takes to hold a Frag Swap (it takes at least 6 months) it is likely that if we cancel this weekends event it will be cancelled for the year.  We are monitoring the actions across the nation and world to slow the spread of the Corona Virus.  We continue to evaluate the feasibility of continuing with the event and will keep everyone apprised.  Keep in mind, the frag swap is put together by a handful of volunteers (under 10 - that also have careers and personal lives to attend to).  It would be great if we had the man power and time to coordinate pushing this event back a few months.  Summer is a very difficult time to hold a swap due to vacations/commitments; therefore, fall would be better.  Although, fall also has MACNA and other swaps (including our own retro frag swap) to contend with.  If we move this back to the winter, we are encroaching on next year's Frag Swap.  As stated previously, if we cancel the frag swap for this weekend, it will most likely need to be cancelled for this year entirely.  That will be evaluated once we make a final decision for this weekend.  Please know that the staff of INDMAS has been agonizing over this unprecedented situation, we are in no way, shape or form taking this lightly, we are having an incredible amount of discussion on this daily (again, we appreciate the comments that we have received) and do realize that we also need to consider our social/community responsibilities as well.  When you look at the events from Sunday through yesterday, things have taken a drastic change.  We are aware that public gatherings, travel, sporting events, school (including Universities), church attendance, etc. are being cancelled and with good reason.   We also know that the amount of traffic will be severely reduced.  It will not be shoulder to shoulder this year.  Having said that, staying 6 feet away from someone coughing will still be difficult.  We also have vendors that have already cancelled and it's likely that more are still evaluating if they will attend.  We respect everyone's decision and concerns and will continue to evaluate this throughout the day today and keep everyone informed as well as we can.  Personally, I am in Kentucky working in the field with the medical community which includes Health Care Providers in the outpatient setting and working with the hospitals in the area.  I have been soliciting their advice as well during my office visits.  I will be driving back to Indianapolis today (running out of Lysol spray and hand sanitizer, ...and yes, I am taking the TP from the hotel room 😉 ) and will continue to converse with the rest of the staff as to whether or not to proceed with the event.  The one thing we can all agree on is that this is an unprecedented situation.  Either way we go, we are going to meet resistance.  Lastly, the $$$$$ are NOT a part of the conversation (I am disappointed that this was even brought up).  We are a non-profit club.  We will lose money on this event for this year regardless of our decision and that is just the way it is.

Thank you, that's very re-assuring.

Side note - When I mentioned the $ I wasn't referring to INDMAS specifically and I'm aware that INDMAS is a non-profit group - there are multiple parties involved other than INDMAS. The only reason the "$" was mentioned was because of what you said earlier; 

"The cost to post pone this event and reschedule for a later time in the year plus the effort that goes into this by volunteers and vendors drove the decision to keep moving forward"

And like myself, I'm sure that you were referring to the overall cost to all parties involved in organizing, planning, running and successfully executing an event like this (which grows every year). 

@hawaiifavo; Thanks for the comments and your right, I did say that in an earlier post and that is my fault that I wasn't more specific about the costs I was referring to.  You are also correct in that if we decide to cancel or postpone, we have many vendors and hobbyists that will be upset due to the investment they have already made to attend our event.  That is the resistance I mentioned in my last post.  There is much to consider, with the main consideration being the health of our members, vendors, and guests.  I have already had two phone conversations this morning on this subject with Mike (President - TankNovice).  He is also making phone calls and looking into options and evaluating the situation with the rest of the staff.  Stay tuned, more to come throughout the day.

We have also been speaking with vendors who have attended frag swaps this past weekend in New York and other locations; however, as I stated earlier things have dramatically changed from last weekend through yesterday.  Overall, the attendance was down but turn out this past weekend was still strong considering the threat of the Corona Virus; particularly in the New York area.

Yikes I don't know. I am evaluating my attendance.

One possibility is the speaker was going to do a Skype call in based on his travel. If the event gets cancelled it might be cool to do a facebook live event. 

One concern is my reservations on reeftrader. I don't want to back out of them. So may need to schedule pick ups. 

@indymatt; Facebook live event is a good idea and we will definitely take that into consideration.

All

I wanted to get let everyone know after a lot of input and recommendations from the health industry, the club has made the difficult decision to postpone the 2020 Frag swap to August 8th. It will be at the same location and time. We are in the process at this time of letting all the vendors know. Please spread the word.

I wanted to apologize to everyone but sometimes the situation is out of our control.

I hope to see everyone in August and look for an additional announcement coming soon

Mike

317-730-7049

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Mike,

Sorry that you and the staff had to go though all of this, but I believe its the best decision in the long run.

See you all in August!

• Thanks 1

I was really looking forward to this weekend.  (I can't help but think the public reaction is getting over blown and this whole deal is becoming more and more a media circus) but agree, we should err on the side of caution.... glad we can look at alternative date of Aug 8th. I appreciate all the work Mike, Bob, and the board has put into this event and coming to this difficult decision. That's a lot of stress and hassle.

So, anyone wanna buy some frags? ..  {Buy one frag get a free roll of TP??}

Be well fellow reefers!

• Thanks 1

Mike, Bob,  and staff,  I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your hard work and dedication that you have put towards the swap and it is with very mixed feelings that I receive this information. Part of me is releived that the decision was to postpone the swap, but part of of me is also quite sad that we are having to make this decision. My wife and I have been working really hard on the items we were planning on bringing to the swap and now we have to wait until August to do so. We are in the process of going through IVF and the funds we would of raised would have been a big contribution to this process. I still dont know how much this will impact us, but hopefully we do not have to delay our process as well. Again Im sorry you guys had to make this decision but deep down I feel like it was the correct decision. 

Thank you.

Alan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since im hosting the August meeting.....it might be a little cramped in my basement......

Kidding aside, cuddos to those making the decision.  Its the right one.  Things are gonna get worse before they get better.

Ross

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Postponing the swap???!!! Guys... this isn’t the Catalina wine mixer, this is the FRAG SWAP!

hear me out...

set up a QT in the parking lot and load the breezeway with UV sterilizers. Game on!

lol

• Haha 1

I know this is tough but I think it was the right decision. I appreciate all of the effort that went in to setting this up and I’m really sad to see it postponed.

I’ll be looking forward to August!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for everyone's comments.  I would really like to give a shout out to Mike for his above and beyond commitment and time that he put in, not only staying in contact with the Health Office, Hendricks County Fairgrounds, vendors attending other swaps, our local vendors and sponsors but finding an alternative date that will put us past this pandemic and give us time to put all the pieces back together for a successful swap.  Great job Mike!!

• Like 3