Help with nitrates

Ok so my reef is only about 4 months old. It is a 40 breeder with a sump with a water volume of 10 gallons. I have close to 40 pounds of rock in the system that went in dry.my filtration consists of a filter sock which I change twice a week. A euroreef rs80 skimmer and foam pads in the sump before the return section to stop the micro bubbles. I also run a gfo reactor on this system. I also do 25% water changes every two weeks and haven't missed one. The nitrates are climbing slowly even with all of this.  I don't know what to do. They are reading 20ppm currently any help would be appreciated.  

Also fish are fed every other day 

I would consider adding a Marine Pure block and start dosing MicobeLift Special Blend on the maintenance dosage.  Both can be found at one of your local sponsors and shipped.  There are lots of sales to take advantage of during black Friday too.  

How fast did you stock the tank and what does your bio load look like?

Hey Mitch 👋🏽 I’m  thinking Ryan’s right. Probably that rock maturing. I’ve never been been apposed to a more aggressive water change. If you have the means, hit it with a 50% water change, or more a couple of times. This would cut it back under 10 ppm. 

Dont know what you’re livestock count is now but I can’t immagine it being to large. Match salinity and temp and you’re good. You do frequent water changes so the important element to the water will be consistent to new water. Given you don’t have a boatload of coral. 

Corals can be exposed out of water for a bit. I have personal experience. I drained my 90 gallon down to 2” from the sand bed. That tank was full of corals. All to catch an anthias. My .02