Algae just won’t go away

tprize

I have been fighting red slime algae, and this  town algae and I am about to give up.

So I changed all my rodi filters, 0 TDS, phosphates etc all ultra low, which is common because the algae will eat it. 

Only additives are: SA phyto and pro bio S and NP pro

Running carbon, pho’s bond, purigen, a refugium with cheato, and nano tech bio spheres.  25 gallon lagoon.

just ran 48 hours no light and chemical clean, have done. 4 10% changes over the past week. And within 3 hours of lights on, here is my sand-bed.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zsx2JsNYuPQ8JEZd8[/img]

Yeah I would def stop dosing the bacteria as it can fuel the cyano surely.

Cyano is fueled by photosynthesis and nutrients so I would work on water changes and media replenishment, and do a 72 hour blackout after your next manual removal of cyano.  Dont feed during those 3 days also.  Dont wanna fuel it...wanna rid the food source of the cyano.

It isn’t super clear on my phone, but that looks more like dinoflagellates than cyano to me. Cyano will usually clear up pretty well with chemi clean or cyano rx. What you have has the bubble strings usually associated with dinos. I’d get a couple second opinions before making a plan to go forward, but if it’s dinos, good luck. 

• Like 1

if dinos try dirty method. no water change as it will fuel it. feed your tank heavy encourage green algea. do a 72 hour blackout and try dosing peroxide. uv sterilzer also helps. also use kalkwasser for topoff as it will keep ph stabil. 

I suggest getting something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034V9P6W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

the 36 watt and just make sure not to get too fast of a pump the longer the water flows over the light the more it can kill and if it doesnt flow long enough it wont kill the bacteria, I watched a video of serjay or w/e ( pretty well-respected reefer ) talk about how UV kills about 80% of the strands of dino and it worked for me. and you should notice pretty quickly too if its working like a week 2 at most 

EDIT: I should add I bought the 55waat which was way over kill and huge but it did the job and I am glad I bought it.