Tank over heating issue

I have a AC JR controller on my 180 gallon. It is set up so when temp is 77.7 degrees heater comes on, and off at 78.1 degrees. If temp goes higher than 80.0 then lights go off. Tank is in my basement which is 75 degrees. The last 3 days the lights are always off and temp on controller says 82. I verified tank water temp is 82 with a digital thermometer.  The heater is a Finnex TH-S Series 800 Watt Titanium Heating Element that is abut 4 years old. It has to be connected to a controller in order to work. So what is my problem? The controllers heating probe or the heater? I'm leaning more towards the probe but not sure which one I should replace. 

I would rule out the probe since it is reading the same temp as your individual digital thermometer.  I would lean towards a previous comment on something in your tank adding heat outside of the heater that is hooked up to your controller.

Well, Wednesday the tank temp was reading 84+ on thermometer, and the controller was  reading it at 82. I unplugged the heater  two days ago, now this morning  the controller is reading 78.1 and digital thermometer is reading 80.4 Not sure how accurate the thermometer or the probe for that matter. But showing a consistent 2 degree difference.  Would it take two day for the temp to go down 6 degrees? I did order a new probe but have not installed it yet. At this point I'm not sure if its the heater, the probe or the controller. Also since this happened my blue lights won't come on only the whites which is on a separate plug. I can't figure this out.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have a electrical spike. It dont have to be from a storm either. If you had a big surge, its possible it messed with some things electrical. 

180g yes it takes time to cool down like that. That's a lot of volume holding heat. Even with out heaters your adding heat by pumps and water friction. 

• 1 month later...