Nano Reef Cyano Outbreak

Hey Guys,

My nano has been up and running for about 3 months now and I can not get rid of the Cyano for the life of me. I do a 25% water change weekly, i've done black out periods, increased the flow.. Water tests show perfect water conditions.. The only thing I can think of is that the RO water that i'm buying from Uncle Bill's is bad? If anyone has any other ideas, I sure can use the advice!

Thanks!!

IMG_4416.jpg

I would guess the RO from UB's is high nutrient. I've been told they don't change their filter often, if at all. 

But I'd suggest to get some cyanoRX and treat with that, at least until you can get your own RODI unit for the house. Sometimes cyano grabs a hold and won't let go through nutrient control alone and needs a little "boost". 

I don't personally trust any of the stores to change their filters (I may be a bit anal about it), but I've heard that Walmart RO has pretty low TDS. 

I'm sure if you talked with one of us here (I'm on County Line Rd, between 31 and 135, as I see you're in Franklin), we could probably work something out. Depending on how much water you need, I can make extra and we can work out either a trade or a low price. Only thing would be the containers since I don't have extras at this time. Message me if you want and we can work something out. 

2 hours ago, ryansweet said:

I don't personally trust any of the stores to change their filters (I may be a bit anal about it), but I've heard that Walmart RO has pretty low TDS. 

I'm sure if you talked with one of us here (I'm on County Line Rd, between 31 and 135, as I see you're in Franklin), we could probably work something out. Depending on how much water you need, I can make extra and we can work out either a trade or a low price. Only thing would be the containers since I don't have extras at this time. Message me if you want and we can work something out. 

Ah sweet, yea I live in Indianapolis now, close to the airport. Im moving to DC here soon or I would have definitely taken you up on that offer. Not sure what i'll do when I get to DC but maybe I should test the Walmart water and see how it holds up. I really only need about 10 gallons a month and I have the jugs already.

On 6/25/2018 at 7:47 PM, Avery said:

Ah sweet, yea I live in Indianapolis now, close to the airport. Im moving to DC here soon or I would have definitely taken you up on that offer. Not sure what i'll do when I get to DC but maybe I should test the Walmart water and see how it holds up. I really only need about 10 gallons a month and I have the jugs already.

Maybe just get distilled water if you don't have a high need. I do this but my two nanos use less than 10 per month.

I second the Distilled Water Route.   My tank has been running on distilled since I set it up in Feb of 2017, and no issues.

I use the Walmart variety and buy 3 gallons weekly.   One for a top off and the other two are for WC.

• 4 months later...

So I ended up tearing down the tank and putting it back together when I got to DC. I scrubbed the rocks and thought surely it would get rid of the cyano. Well about a week after setting it back up, everything was covered in it again. I bought chemi-clean off of amazon and I think it was the best purchase I have ever made. 48 hours after dosing, there was no sign of cyano. Ultimately my corals took a hit from being "suffocated" by that stuff, but i'm hoping to bring them back.

Photos

Hey glad you got rid of the cyano...stuff is a pain but easier than other algae.  Our sponsors in the forum have products like chemiclean also.  Amazon is ruining small businesses and highly encourage hobbyists to purchase from sponsors or Amazon will be the only option around soon!

• Like 1