John Freas

It’s still gone for now.  I hate skipping feedings, they always seem so hungry,

We’re on vacation this week, so they’re on flakes from an automatic feeder.  I put socks back in the sump to catch the excess, but who knows what I’ll come back to.

A nice way to check in on the tank to see how things are going while on vacation is a reef cam or even a home security camera (I repurposed an old baby monitor that has remote viewing capabilities). Having a controller like the apex or reefkeeper that can send you email updates is nice as well.

• 4 months later...

OK here’s a long overdue follow up...

I’ve had to re-dose the CyanoRX a couple of times when the purple came back even a little.  Finally, at the recommendation of an expert I vacuumed the sand, blacked out the tank for three days, didn’t feed and dosed with CyanoRX.  That knocked it down really well, and followed by a large-ish water change it stayed clean for a couple of weeks before the pink started to come back.  

The theory is that I have a water quality issue.  I have since increased my water changes in both volume and frequency, and have been paying closer attention to nitrates.  Phosphates have been just about zero, but as we know that might just mean that they’re being bound up elsewhere.

I have a new (better) RO/DI unit and today (a week after my last water change) the nitrates were 25.  We’ll see how they look after a change tomorrow.  Thanks for the support.

• 6 months later...

The pink stuff on the rocks is coraline algae, and it's good; part of the biological filter system.

Cyanobacteria forms on pretty much everything, sand; glass, etc.  It starts out looking like little spots of coraline, but not where coraline would normally grow.  Once it takes off it starts to form a slime that covers the sand and glass.  Not hard to remove, but not easy to kill.  CyanoRX and/or darkness will get rid of it.

Edited by John Freas

the pinking on the rocks, that isnt cyno is it? 

7 minutes ago, John Freas said:

The pink stuff on the rocks is coraline algae, and it's good; part of the biological filter system.

Cyanobacteria forms on pretty much everything, sand; glass, etc.  It starts out looking like little spots of coraline, but not where coraline would normally grow.  Once it takes off it starts to form a slime that covers the sand and glass.  Not hard to remove, but not easy to kill.  CyanoRX and/or darkness will get rid of it.

Good to know!!! 

thank you John