Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I have been battling cyano for a while now. I think the main issue is flow which is in the process of being upgraded. I currently have 3 fish so the bioload is very small.  My nitrates test at 0 and my phosphates are 0-0.03.  I have heard many good things about chemi clean and red cyano Rx so I got some chemi clean this evening to see if it lived up to the hype. I treated my 500g volume this evening (5/5/18 @ 8:30).  I will continue to provide regular updates so people know if the product works well.  Here are some pictures from tonight. 

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at the 12h mark there was little to no change. Now the cyano is starting to shrink and get stringy and flake off the rock and sand.  Looks like it’s going to work. So far no negative effects that I can notice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CyanoRX has worked wonders for me. I usually leave it a week or so then do a big water change. No ill effects to coral or fish, and I’ve used it multiple times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ryansweet said:

CyanoRX has worked wonders for me. I usually leave it a week or so then do a big water change. No ill effects to coral or fish, and I’ve used it multiple times. 

Good to hear. I was going to miss the 48h mark for the water change   It was going to be closer to 72h.  Decided to use chemi clean to try to speed this part of the initial maturing phase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after 48h not happy with the results. I decided to take a risk and I added another full dose to the tank without first adding carbon or doing a water change to remove the first. We will see if this finishes it off. No matter what happens I will do a water change in 48h and run both carbon ans gfo to remove the stuff. Really hoping this works. If not back to the labor intensive turkey baster and siphon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chemi clean worked wonders and killed all my cyano. Which looking back is not a good thing. Now dino’s have moved in. I have been siphoning every day through a filter sock to try to remove as many as possible hoping they run out of fuel and die out. 

I have been doing some research and I think I am going to try an idea. Metronidazole has been shown to slow/stop reproduction in addition to inhibit it’s ability to group together. I am going to use this to my advantage. I plan on treating with metronidazole at 10mg/gallon and then running a uv sterilizer to kill the Dino’s. I will then work on increasing biodiversity in the tank to try to prevent a recurrence. I may even throw a black out period in as well to help. Wish me lunch Dino’s are a pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...