Tank Emergency Contact when out of town

cmak

Hello all,

From time to time all of us have to leave our tanks behind for a work trip or vacation and it is always stressful worrying about what could go wrong.  I personally am gone 2-3 weeks a year and I am hoping to find someone in the Hamilton County area, preferably noblesville, that would want to become each other's Tank emergency contact. My family and friends feed the tank and make sure nothing is obviously wrong but none of them are Reef tank owners and would have no clue what to do in a real emergency. The emergency contact person would not be a caretaker or an everyday thing, mainly for that one time a year when something happens when you are away and have no other options.

Is anyone in the club interested in starting an emergency contact list or even just a buddy system? In the event of a real emergency our caretakers could call on you and you could at least keep life support going until the tank owner returns?  I would be willing to buddy with someone and we could see each other's setup, get the general layout and how the system and life support is setup so that we could actually react and be familiar with the tank, plumbing, dosing, controller, or w/e is vital to the system. I keep spare heaters, main pump, powerheads, various plumbing fitting, and chemicals on hand at all times and have them ready to swap while im away.  

If anyone is interested let me know!

Hey all!  This is definitely a great idea!

At the last staff meeting we discussed this.  We will plan on tackling a sign up or something after the frag swap.  This would be another great resource and benefit for the club.  Appreciate all the paying it forward here everyone...this is truly what INDMAS is all about!

Sounds like a great idea

I'll be in Japan for a couple weeks in June and I've been feeling pretty nervous about the tank as I haven't been away from it for more than a couple of days before. 

If anyone in the Bloomington area is interested, I'd love to hear from them 

Love this idea.   Have have sitter who is a vet tech and 1/4 mi from me.  She has always done a super job but having a club member help would be idea.   I always pay my sitter well and something to consider.  My only concern on this great idea is having someone come into Your home you dont know that well.

Well my goal is to meet my emergency contact in person and get to know them.  Visit each others houses and check out the systems, get a feel for their setup and the type of person/personality they are.  Worst case I get to see another tank setup, best case I find a new friend that I can actually talk reefing to since none of my family or friends have any interest.  

• Like 2