Clownfish Pregnant

brendan2u

My wyoming white female is definitely pregnant (male is a black ice); any quick suggestions that I could try to keep the fry alive? Or am I just going to take the L on the first hatch and hope I'm ready for the next? They are still in my display tank (30 cube) and I do not have another tank set up currently. I think I may have a small 3 gallon tank somewhere that I could try to set up for them to hatch in, but it might be too late. 

Congrats!!  It's a very exiting time.    Ian is right, get everything set up and prepared and try for a future batch.   With that being said, setting up doesn't take very long.   Order rotifers and RGComplete from Reed Mariculture.   A 5 gallon bucket will work but to make it very easy you can order their Complete Culture System (CSS) Kit.  You can use a 10g tank but even as small as 5g will work for a rearing vessel.  Commonly used are the black round tubs I know you can buy at Menards and they give the flexibility to start at a lower water volume and increase it as they grow. An air stone and a heater and you are set.  You can add a sponge filter at roughly day 10 when you have them on prepared food.  

• Like 1

The mbisite.org is a great resource for breeding.  Joyce Wilkerson has a book back in print that is an excellent resource as well.  You can buy an e-version pretty cheap.   Feel free to ask away any questions too.  I have raised quite a few clowns, among others.  

I forget who might have some rotifers, if they do I am sure they will chime in.   Mentioning phyto you definitely can raise clowns on live phyto, the pastes like RGComplete is a mix to give all the correct fatty acids and nutritional profile to the rotifers that the larvae will need so it's just more efficient to use the paste as it's zero work compared to a fair amount of work and a dedicated system to grow phyto.  RGC also contains chlor-am-x to manage the ammonia in the rotifer culture and in the larval tub when used as "greenwater". 

I did phyto/pods and brine at one point in time very easy to do.

Currently have shut down as I am renovating my tank equipment room.

I have 1 or 2 florida aquafarms culture disk if you want start up phyto culture just text me probably have a gallon glass jar and air pump lying around as well

Live up the road from you in Fishers just text me if you want a crash course and to pick up (no charge)

Mike 317-730-7049