Glass or Acrylic????

Hi All -

This is probably a topic that has been cover several times, but I would like a more recent perspective from the collective.  I am looking at moving to a 135 +/- 20 gallons and am trying to figure out if I should go glass or acrylic.  I know the advantages and disadvantages of each when it comes to flexibility and care.  What I would like to know is are you willing to accept these advantages and disadvantages and why?

Please comment and let me know what you think.

TIA,

Mark

I personally like the look of the glass tanks better (minus the weight and having to move them compared to the acrylic). But I personally would go with acrylic as I find they are easier to do repairs on if a crack occurs and the durability and strength of the acrylic as well.

With my recent tank build I went with glass.  Mine is a little unique in that I had a custom tank built by AGE.  I got quotes for several glass and acrylic tanks and they were all fairly comparable.  For acrylic you have the pluses of light weight and easy to modify.  I feel these do not outweigh the down sides of easy to scratch (over time this becomes significant), seams that if not glued well will leak/split, yellowing with time.  Glass will not scratch as easy (although if it  does its basically permanent), the seams are superior if done right and if the seams are protected should last for decades.  The down side is weigh and difficulty in modifying.  My tank probably weight 700lbs empty but that is 3/4" glass, a 1" PVC bottom and stainless steel top and bottom support.  Overall if I had to design and get a tank built again I would go glass. 

Thanks to both of you.... Everything mentioned are those things we all think about when making this decision.  I think that is why I am struggling.  I would like to have a tank that will last me for 10-15 years before having to change it out, but if something should happen in the meantime, I need a tank that is easy to repair.  Unfortunately, that is on of the differences between the two.

I have a 300g acrylic I am doing repairs on over my Christmas shutdown. I have to cut the end section off and will lose about 10-20g, but replacing the end piece I think will be easier. Benefit of acrylic over glass. But jlfalin does have a point on the glass standing up for a longer period of time without running into issues of yellowing, and cracking (usually seen on the tops of acrylic tanks from lighting (MH)). Both have compounds that can be used to buff out scratches.