Electric Current in Water Monitor/Probe

dsdoyle

Hello,

OK, I finally figured out why I was getting electricity in my system . . . the bleepin' heater (as almost everyone said would be the problem).  It is a Finnex 800W Titanium heater.

I have now put everything on GFCI outlets.  When I first put everything on the GFCIs, the one for the heater did pop.  I took resat the connection with the heater still attached and the GFCI did not pop again.

1. Has anyone had experience of these heaters acting up?  I have only had this one for a little over a year.

2. Is there such a thing as a monitor/probe that detects electricity and alerts me like my Apex system regarding other things?

Thanks for your help,

Don

Hi Don,

I am still learning, but I have had stray voltage in my tank over the years and sometimes it was caused by a bad heater and other times by salt build up or excess water (typically after a water change or major maintenance).  In my experience it has had zero negative effects on my slice of the ocean, albeit annoying when I stick my hand in the water and get a little zap.  To my knowledge there is not anything that can continuously monitor the stray voltage, aside from manually checking it with a volt meter.

I have always bought the inexpensive heaters (generic brands) off of Amazon and replace them if they go bad for $10-$15.

Hope this helps!

Maz