NUVO Fusion 10 Nano build.

Well things are going well in my tank, however the rocks are covered in green algae. It's not slime/film algae and I cannot scrub it off with an old toothbrush. I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I've read of green coralline algae but I would think I'd see it on the glass too. Phosphates are a bit high so I think I'm going to get some phosban and add it to the media basket. At least help lower the phosphates. I've also reduced the time the lights are on to 6 hours a day. They have been on 9 for the past few weeks.

Lastly my little jar of Reef Roids arrived today and I decided to do a small feeding this evening before the water change. I spot fed all of my corals and they seemed to enjoy it. The plan is to feed twice a week and spot feed the acan mysis once a week. I counted 8 heads this evening on the Acan. It's obviously liking the tank as I brought it home 2 weeks ago and it only had 6. 👍🏼

https://instagram.com/p/BSo3ZfxBDId/

https://instagram.com/p/BSj_THJh5_a/

https://instagram.com/p/BSovdorBFAC/

Nothing new with the tank. It's been pretty much on autopilot except for some feeding of reef roids and weekly water change. Right now my focus has been on other things. My wife had surgery this week to remove her thyroid due to thyroid cancer. Unfortunately she had to spend 2 extra nights in the hospital due to other unforeseen issues.

Hopefully I can pick up some frags from Budman soon and a few other pieces of coral I want to add and let things grow out. I've lost the Goni and the main zoa I purchased at the swap has pretty much melted away. Everything else is happy as can be. My Acans have two new baby heads and the Pink Zippers I purchased have 3 new polyps.

Hopefully I'll have more to share soon and come too a meeting as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to add a Skunk Cleaner this weekend. However no one in the area had any in stock, so I took a trip west to Inland and picked up a new inhabitant. Little bugger keeps hiding behind the rock work. :mad: However he seems to be doing well. I've read forum posts where they don't do so well acclimating and pass away either the day of or a couple days later. I did not acclimate him in the bucket, but fastened the bag to the tank and kept it floating so there were no temperature swings. Every 15 minutes or so I would remove a turkey basters worth of water and discard it, then add in the same amount from the tank to slowly raise the salinity. Seems to have worked out great. As I stated in a previous post the tank has been on autopilot due to my wife's illness. This was my first purchase for the tank since the frag swap. Speaking of, Budman I still need to get with you. Sorry its taking so long.

Also last evening was day 65 with my reef. Things have started to grow a bit more since adding the reef roids, but things still seem slow. I'm not sure if its the lighting or something else. However I'm just taking things slow and let things happen when they happen. When it comes to lighting I'm hoping to find a deal this weekend at RAP in Orlando. So hopefully the next update there will be a new light above this tank.

28b7iab.jpg

1zxbm2g.jpg

Mine hid behind the rock the first few days but now goes every where, especially feeding time when he tries to get it all before anyone else can! I'm amazed how fast they grow, mine molts about every four weeks, the first time I thought it had died when I saw the shell and he was hiding, LOL.

Mine hid behind the rock the first few days but now goes every where, especially feeding time when he tries to get it all before anyone else can! I'm amazed how fast they grow, mine molts about every four weeks, the first time I thought it had died when I saw the shell and he was hiding, LOL.

He has started to come out a little more each day. Last night my daughters and I watched him clean a nassarius snail. It was like the dryer tumbler for this guy. LOL

• 1 month later...

So I decided to add a small bag of purigen and a small amount of phosguard in the media basket with the chemi-pure blue.  I rinsed both out and added it to the tank after a 2 gallon water change yesterday morning.   When the lights flipped on this morning I noticed the tank was very cloudy.  My thought is the phosguard is the culprit so I'm debating on removing it and only using it when I need it.   Thoughts?  

I want to purchase a used reactor with a small pump.  My thought is to slide said pump in chamber two and pump back into the third chamber.  This will be my macroalgae reactor that I plan to light up after the lights go out on the tank.   I plan on wrapping the cylinder in LED strip lighting.   Has anyone tried this out locally, or am I going to be the one who does trial an error on this?  😛

Ive decided to hold out on a light for now, but if I find a great deal I might jump on it.  Honestly part of me would love to borrow one to see if I really need one but good luck finding that scenario.  I'm not seeing significant growth but I'm not seeing any die off either.  I have however seen growth with my zoa's.  Each has grown 2-3 polyps this past month alone.  

I'm also looking at the aqamai powerhead but may hold off.  I think instead of a birdsnest and plating monti I'm going to cover the top of the rock with a couple more hammers and frogspawn.  I love movement in the tank and that will be a great look I believe.  Won't need a powerhead if I go that route.  The sicce and spinstream work great.   

This weekend my wife and girls handed me a couple boxes to open.  To my surprise they had gotten me a new light and reactor. 

As for the light I set it up yesterday after a waterchange and started the intensity around 30-40%.  It's a guess but I know it's not near 50%.  I've also kept the color around 40%.  More towards the blue but not all the way.  Everything opened up nice and fluffy and seemed to be happy.  The zoa's and ricordea really loved it as the spread out nice and wide today.     Its a bit on the blue side in the photos but the balance looks okay to the naked eye.

I don't plan on keeping any sps other than a couple encrusting monties I have.  Ephyullia dominated tank is my goal with a small ricordea garden and zoa garden.  I want a few more torch corals, hammers, a frogspawn, and octospawn.  👍🏼

sggz10.jpg

2urb6km.jpg

11hx9g4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My Euphyllia have been acting funny as of late.   Not opening up as much as usual, or opening and then closing in the middle of the day.   So I tested everything again last evening before the weekly water change.   Did not see a significant decrease in any parameters.  Sure there is a drop, but that is a given, but no obvious spikes.  So why certain corals are acting or looking the way they are are still a mystery to me.

7-9-17

Temp: 78.2

SG - 1.026

CA - 500

Alk - 8.6

MG - 1470

PH - 7.8

Nitrates - <10 PPM

7-12-17

Temp: 78.1

SG - 1.026

CA - 470

Alk - 8.6

MG - 1460

PH - 7.8

Nitrates - <20 PPM

7-16-17

CA - 460

Alk - 8.4

MG - 1450

PH - 7.6

Nitrates <20 PPM

Temp 78.2

SG - 1.026

Oh and here is a FTS of Day 142. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed the other day that the cyano was back and got to looking at the dials on the light.  One of my kids had turned up the intensity.  😒  Also the 2 yr old found some food for the fish and gave it all too them without anyone knowing.  So yea not a good couple of days with the home Nano.  It can all be fixed but will just take time and larger water changes.   Also one of my hammer corals I purchased from the frag swap is starting to bleach, so I'm not sure its getting enough light with the new fixture, so I've moved it to my office nano.

Anyway here are a few new photos.  Everyone loves photos. 

1.jpg

5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Day 250, and things are rolling along. Haven't posted much as I haven't made many changes honestly. My office tank has been shut down and the coral that I had placed in there are back in this tank. The hammer coral (center of pic Center of rocks) are starting to bounce back. Color is coming back and it seems to be quite happy in that spot. I have noticed some vermited Snails but they are not bothering my coral. I'll keep an eye on that and pluck them off when I see the need. Also the palys in the lower right corner are on a shell. They were given to me at a Frag swap and seem to be thriving. However upon returning home from a vacation I noticed some bubble algae on the shell. I removed the shell and palys from the tank and plucked the bubbles off. Rinsed the Frag in some tank water and placed it back in the tank. That's about the extent of things.

The sicce .5 pump and spinstream are working great. Provides a good random flow and my torches seem to love it. I don't believe I'll be placing an extra powerhead in the tank. Still have yet to hook up the macro algae reactor. Just running filter floss and chemi-pure blue. Kessil A80 at 100% intensity and 50% color. Light feedings daily reef roids once a week, and change out the floss daily. 2 gallon waterchange and vacuuming the sand once a week. I clean out the back chamber and scrub the pump once a month.

Okay im rambling.... sorry.

24283821908_164fc0bc93_k.jpgtank by PaulSAC1854, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So as of late, I'm admiring the tank but finding it's missing something.  A good pop of color outside of the greens.   I've also got a few areas that are shaded and that's bugging me too.   I want to get some more color in this tank in the form of reds, blues, purples and yellows.  Also something to fill out the upper portion of the rock work.  Also I want to fill out these shaded areas with something that prefers low flow and low light.   

Some thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated   At least I can start researching and compiling a list for next years Frag Swap   😉