Don't siphon water with your mouth

dogum99

Wow! In line cobalt pump here I come. That is scary...

Thanks for posting that!

Seriously though, Ive never done this because it can't be good. The ocean tastes horrible! No need for a fancy pump unless you're just in a hurry. I always just put a hose in the water, let it partially fill, put finger over the end out of the tank and raise the hose up out of the water and repeat this a couple times till it fills up. All you do then is release your finger from the other end and ta-da, siphon starts and your face is much less salty.

For quick water changes I do toss a backup return pump into my sump with a wireless remote switch and a 3/4" hose. It drains the sump in a couple minutes and saves the back breaking effort of leaning around inside the stand trying to use a siphon.

• Like 2

how is this any different than swimming in the ocean and getting water in your mouth?

I'd equate this to what I call "The Ich Theory". Ich, in a closed environment like our aquariums, is a deadly disease and can wipe out an entire tank. The reason it doesn't kill all the fish in the ocean is because of the dilution due to biodiversity (among other things). So if the bacteria gets a good foothold in an aquarium, it can take off and become the dominant species making it more concentrated.

Also, the article said that this is like the 3rd case reported ever. And the age of the patient could have had something to do with it as well. Older man usually equals lower immune system.

• Like 1