Jumpy little fella

ryansweet

I'm looking for the most experienced fish catcher out there. My solorensis wrasse (you were right, Brandon...) jumped into my overflow and I don't have the slightest idea how to get him out. The drain and return are plumbed there so I don't know of a net that is small enough to get in there, yet big enough to catch him. No fish trap is going to get in there either.

Any suggestions??

Pat and I got together on this and I think the best way for me to catch him is to drain the overflow area and just use my hand to get him. I bought the tank second hand and the previous owner glued the standpipes in place so removing those isn't an option. Stupid beautiful fish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go to a store that sells fly tying hooks. They are usually used to catch fish using a fly pole. Buy the tiniest hook they sell which is usually in the 25-32 range. Tie some thread onto it and drop it by him and hold on tight! I've caught many fish this way that were in places I couldn't get or wouldnt fall for other methods

• 2 weeks later...

Well...we can actually close this one. I tried hands, nets, tubing, and a couple of other "home remedies". Unfortunately, right as I was doing a water change so I could drain the overflow he decided to jump out of the overflow. Landed directly behind the tank where I couldn't reach from either side. I got a hanger bent to where I could safely get him pulled out and got him into qt, but he didn't make it. I think the time out of the water and stress from being stuck behind the tank was too much to handle and he died in qt the very next day.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help, though!