80 gallon shallow

chac317

So I came home from work today to this? Most sps gone and probably 80% or higher of zoas closed up. Even a couple of the fish are not out and about like usual (verified not dead, just hiding). Checked salinity, alk, phosphate and all seem to be in line. Just did my biweekly water change last night and all seemed to be happy. Any ideas as to what could cause this essentially overnight? Or anything I’m forgetting to spot check? 

D05CAA23-CC56-450A-93C5-99398FAC7D46.jpeg

2B10B5F1-0A29-4FC4-853A-32C6846151E6.jpeg

14909A25-A381-4F80-878E-21DAE04C449E.jpeg

1EC51CFF-9D61-43C3-9008-2789D439D9E5.jpeg

17 minutes ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Holy crap!  Sorry man...

Whata about magnesium and calcium?  Nitrates?  Temp?  TDS of water you used?

Mag and calcium in line. I have salifert, NYOS and Red Sea for nitrates and they always have read zero, still do today. Temp is stable 78 and was matched during water change like normal. TDS is 0. 

I’m mixing up some more now for another water change but unfortunately due to work it won’t get done for a few days. I really wish I had the space to store RODI so I didn’t have to make on site. But yeah, very disheartening to say the least. What probably concerns me the most is the fish acting up. I’ve never had any issues with fish other than the occasional jumper, so to see my normally energetic fish hiding out is concerning. 

I checked the cords in the sump and didn’t see any corrosion. No other metals or misplaced items found in the tank or sump. I had the talk with my wife when all this virus stuff started about not spraying in the room the tank is in so I am pretty confident that hasn’t been happening. 

Fish at least came out to eat like normal so that is a positive sign. It’s going to be a long night and work day tomorrow waiting to see what it looks like tomorrow evening when I get home and the lights are on...

I didn’t have any pure carbon on hand, but I found 3 bags of the nano chemi pure blue, which say they are good for 5 gallons each, which is the best I could do on short notice. I put them in the bubble trap of the sump to try to get some water moving through them. Not nearly enough for the 80ish gallons of water but better than nothing

Do you feel any sort of electric current when you touch the water? 

Do you test salinity with a refractometer, or hydrometer? If refract, when is the last time you checked the calibration? (I’ve made this mistake multiple times and have done a water change with the salinity waaay off is why I ask) 

I don’t feel any current but I don’t have a way to measure it if it’s small enough to cause harm but not enough to feel by touch. I’ve never had a current issue so if I don’t confidently feel it I just assume it’s fine, I imagine I’d know it if I felt it, hopefully. I use a handheld refractometer and that Milwaukee digital refractometer, I make sure to calibrate the Milwaukee before every test. The handheld I do sometimes go awhile between calibrating but since they both measured the same value I figured it was ok.

Surprisingly, most zoas are back open except for a few. Torches aren’t fully extended but better than last night, and softies seem content. Gorgonian not looking as puffy but still an improvement over yesterday. Pretty much all sps and cyphastrea dead or dying, but luckily I hadn’t had that much to start with (thank goodness I had transitioned away from them or I would be devastated). It seems like my large green Monti rock that I’ve had for years is a goner, which sucks because it has grown into part of the aquascape. It isn’t all dead yet but I’d say 60-70% is dead with the rest looking like it will follow. If it all goes I’m not sure if I’d keep it since it would be an eyesore, but multiple fish hide in it at night so I don’t know. 

Still not sure what happened, and it’s extra weird that it seemed to go bad in a day and kill some items, but then revert back to normal for the most part. The strange adventures of reefing...

• 3 weeks later...

If  you just did a water change and parameters seemed in line for alk, calc...etc then i would be your source water has changed and RODI is not getting everything out.  Bummer to see, been there done that......hate to say.  Its been a few weeks, hows it looking?

• Like 1

Unfortunately it has been chalked up to unknown. Luckily, most of the casualties were sps and since I had transitioned to zoas and some euphyllia, I didn’t lose anything too sentimental or expensive. I did lose most of a large Green Monti rock that has became part of the aquascape, so that is an eyesore currently since half is dead, but hopefully it comes back with time. I might place some encrusters on the dead part and try to spruce it up a bit.

zoas seem to be doing well, same with leathers. My small torch garden seems to be happy but I do wish I could get more tentacle extension from them. 

6075C7F2-2CFB-478F-930F-2BC35BD2920D.jpeg

032A40BC-6C7C-4D0B-A479-E674144FA83C.jpeg

1073BA60-8211-492D-A51A-9450CFF326CB.jpeg

221960EA-15A5-439E-AD9B-4C4017FE3E96.jpeg

• 1 month later...