2016 New Reef Gadgets?!?

I've been a bit behind on the latest gadgetry in the hobby but ran across this. I bought a couple frag buckets that sounded like they'd make it easier for mass frag transportation but I ran into following problems:

• Coral falling out
  • Bucket leaking water in car
  • Stands being too short for size of frags

This ingenious rack addresses all the problems I had and might have to order a couple of these! Little pricey but you can break even quickly with a few sales frags that have been more easily transported safely: http://buildinganobsession.com/frag-transport-system/

What you think and what other gadgets have you seen this year?!?

Thats pretty cool. I like the fact it doesn't leak as well as holds the frags in place. Its a bit pricey but worth it if your traveling to shows often.

Here is my favorite item for 2016 and cheap too. I use this pretty much ever day to move corals or rocks or upright a snail. Its a very versatile tool and can be used to pull wires closer to you or hit that off switch from time to time.

A plastic stick

Plastic%20Stick.jpg

• Like 3

A salt bucket, egg crate, PVC and the egg crate ready frag plugs would be the same it seems and cheap. If you are taking that many frags I would say you are making them yourself so putting on a consistent frag plug should be easy.

A salt bucket, egg crate, PVC and the egg crate ready frag plugs would be the same it seems and cheap. If you are taking that many frags I would say you are making them yourself so putting on a consistent frag plug should be easy.

I've done this and it's just not very easy to move frags in/out and the frags fall over/move.

• Like 1

What about a 5 gallon bucket with a tight lid. I know the blue lowes buckets with lids are super tight fitting. Cut egg-crate to fit inside, take PVC, notch the ends so they slide into the egg crate grooves. Same exact idea this guy has. Stackable, easy to transport probably close to 100 frags per bucket, use the existing egg crate to put in the frag tanks. Also stupid cheap, you're probably in each bucket $5. Keep a few different sized PVC pipes in the bottom of the bucket incase you buy some huge colony at the swap or whatever.

Blue lowe's buckets leak, no gasket in the lid. They do fit tight but I have had at least 10 of them that will let water run down the sides while sloshing around in a car.

Salinity bucket would be a good fit perhaps being there's a gasket and they are pretty much air tight. It's a little more narrow and may make removal a little more tough but you get added height and could maybe allow for different sized tiers to for taller frags and not losing too much capacity.

Dustin is right on picking them up. It seems simple, reach in and grab. When they are loaded with frags it can be tricky because you're trying to keep everything level to not damage things below while at the same time getting a good hold on the tray full of frags you're picking up. I've tried this before and to leave enough room to get a good place to grab you end up sacrificing a decent bit of space.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see other cool gadgets for 2016. I know these two next products seems mythical but they are two products I've had my eyes on for some time.

Mindstream - Monitor most your params and feed into the cloud! They have delayed release but seems that a recent facebook posts shows that they got some good investors and now have the funding to move forward. If this gets released and has good reviews I'll make the investment.

https://www.facebook.com/MindStream-Aquarium-Monitoring-System-172032453001343/

Cerebra - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cerebra-aquarium-controller-package-vertex.html

Android based controller and think the first time I saw this was MACNA in 2013. Much more advanced than an Apex, hopefully Vertex follows through. I'd be hesitant on using a beta controller on my tank but they've got the beta units available for only $375.

• Like 1

I would pay $$$$ for something to test my water for me! Cant wait for this to come out

I'll believe once I see it, don't get impatient! I'd say the midstream is now about two years delayed but would be amazing if successful!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here's the gadget of the week. New generation of Radion. Before taking over another thread figured I'd just drop here:)

http://radion.ecotechmarine.com/

Can't believe EcoTech raised the price from $750 to $800. Should have went opposite direction but the fixture made some good changes with the additional LEDs, choices, and most importantly the lenses so they have some spread.

I'll believe once I see it, don't get impatient! I'd say the midstream is now about two years delayed but would be amazing if successful! Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As I see it the issue is going to come with subscription costs. This is going to be a subscription type product that requires monthly fees to maintain functionality. They have waffled on this topic and gone from 90 day life of sample disk to 45 and now to 30. They can set the system up to use a serial number on the disk and stop functioning after 90 days is up. I don't know if I'm ready to plop down $30/month for this service....especially after spending $500+ for the equipment to use it.

As I see it the issue is going to come with subscription costs. This is going to be a subscription type product that requires monthly fees to maintain functionality. They have waffled on this topic and gone from 90 day life of sample disk to 45 and now to 30. They can set the system up to use a serial number on the disk and stop functioning after 90 days is up. I don't know if I'm ready to plop down $30/month for this service....especially after spending $500+ for the equipment to use it.

I'd consider it a cheap insurance policy in all honesty. With the amount of money we invest in livestock this could be a tank saver during times when testing might get some neglect.

The midstream looks awesome just wonder the accuracy as well as if its gonna cost a ton of money. I kinda like testing my water, however to have a quick readout would be sweet.

Until we see them in the wild won't know the complete accuracy. They say they'll be fairly accurate if you change the discs regularly (every 30 days). I'd not be upset to have to not have to test anymore ^_^

Sent from my Galaxy Note 7 using Tapatalk.