New possibilities for tank stands, canopies, and light frames?

Hooked

Thoughts..... Effing expensive. Last years frag swap raffle tank had that. From what I heard, it was a little wobbly. But, I'm sure with a few hundred dollars in brackets, it would have been fine. Lol

• Like 1

It's been around a little while and like Pat said it's quite pricey, not that stands in general aren't but to make it structurally sound I bet you'd be in for a chunk. I do like the look of it quite a bit. I think the swap tank stand just has me edgy about it holding up.

My only concern would be salt creep. Good luck cleaning that up with the texture this has.

It's been around a little while and like Pat said it's quite pricey, not that stands in general aren't but to make it structurally sound I bet you'd be in for a chunk. I do like the look of it quite a bit. I think the swap tank stand just has me edgy about it holding up.

My only concern would be salt creep. Good luck cleaning that up with the texture this has.

Good point about the salt creep. I thought this looked a lot heavier than the the material in the frag swap stand. Regardless, check out the Photo Gallery and Xtreme DIY under the "Get Inspired" tab. There's some pretty cool stuff there.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-synergy-reef-v2-official-build-48-x-36-x-30.221122/page-4

Sexy build for 1, but 2, this stand is using 80/20. In the thread he talks about prices. About $600 in parts for the stand and another $400 for the doors. His is looking pretty sick. But the look wouldn't be right in a lot of places

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-synergy-reef-v2-official-build-48-x-36-x-30.221122/page-4

Sexy build for 1, but 2, this stand is using 80/20. In the thread he talks about prices. About $600 in parts for the stand and another $400 for the doors. His is looking pretty sick. But the look wouldn't be right in a lot of places

I really like the look of the stand, but think he ruined it with the doors - the hinges look chintzy. Also can't figure out how the doors costs $400 - he must have used acrylic, which would be most expensive option. I would have just left it open if the intent was to show off the equipment.

Agree that look doesn't work everywhere. I thought a black and silver combo with sliding doors would look really slick. You could also use colored doors if that worked in the environment.

Here's another 80/20 build on R2R - kinda cool, very high tech.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/120g-80-20-stand-build.226353/

Last, but most importantly - none of these come even close to your stand PatO. :D

• Like 1

I have been using that stuff for 6yrs or so I believe. I would say its somewhat pricey but worth it. Like Scott mentioned above its not to bad for light hangers price wise, for a stand generally its going to be around 400bux. To me, 400bux for a 6' stand isn't to bad. As far as ease of use and convenience its really easy to work with. You can get just about any size from 80/20 these days, but if you need to cut it a miter saw goes through it like butter.

• Like 1

I have been using that stuff for 6yrs or so I believe. I would say its somewhat pricey but worth it. Like Scott mentioned above its not to bad for light hangers price wise, for a stand generally its going to be around 400bux. To me, 400bux for a 6' stand isn't to bad. As far as ease of use and convenience its really easy to work with. You can get just about any size from 80/20 these days, but if you need to cut it a miter saw goes through it like butter.

I haven't done any DIY projects for years. Came across this product when I found that my cousin works for them in Columbia City. I would agree $400 for a 6' stand isn't bad. Would this be cheaper than welded for someone doing an inwall?

Personally I would go with a weld vs 80/20 as a weld is going to be more secure imo. Now if the price is 400 vs 1200 its a different ballgame, but for similar price or just a bit more I'd go with a weld. A weld can't become loose like fittings on the 80/20.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Schuran uses this for their stands, and have for a number of years. We've looked into it as a way to lower the shipping cost of stands, as the material is lighter, and it can be disassembled to ship. There are lots of other extrusions other than what 8020 sells, that are lower cost, and work just as well if you do some hunting. Personally, I'm still using steel for my new setup.