Neptune Apex Wireless Networking ?

07s197

I would really like to get one of these systems but If I can't get this connected via wireless it will be mostly useless to me. Connecting anything via Ethernet to my router is not an option I am willing to try to attempt. The router is upstairs in the farthest bedroom from where the tank is downstairs and I am on a slab. I searched the Neptune forums and the sticky is working on three years old. I am willing to plunk down some money for the Netgear wireless adaptor or a similar piece of hardware but I am not going to take a $700 plunge if this is an exercise in futility.

Is anyone using this system wirelessly and if so which type of hardware are you using to connect the apex to your network?

My apologies if this has been covered but I didn't find it here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Apex is behind the times on tech and still does not have wireless integrated or any add on modules. That being said, you can purchase a gaming module or bridge to gain wireless to the device.

Check out pages 47-48 for some info and recommendations Apex has:

https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf

One thing to note....If you go with this just make sure you do firmware upgrades with a wired connection, otherwise you'll significantly increase your chances of 'bricking' the base module when doing a firmware upgrade. Let us know if you have any questions, more than willing to give some guidance as Bill said!

Thanks for the replies, yes I read about making sure firmware updates are done hard wired. From the apex forum this seems to be a constant process from what one thread said about having to crawl under the stand and hook up a laptop to do the updates. It sure does appear that apex is behind the times for tech because the suggested hardware are wireless G and there are as many bad reviews as good not to mention that G is 10+ years old and I would be concerned with compatibility with my gigabit router. Is anyone using wireless N technology or wireless connectivity period? I love the concept of using the web for monitoring and control but if it can't work wireless I'll use the KISS method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The FW Updates are not that frequent, looking at update history only 2-3 times a year.

As far as the wireless, 802.11n routers should have no problem and the very small amount of data being sent and being backwards compatible with 802.11g. Any routers made today with the more popular standard (802.11ac) are still backwards compatible to the older revisions (802.11a/b/g/n). The revesions continue to get better (Using more antennas, additional spectrum channels, better multiplexing) but still operate on much of the same underlying tech. Long story short, you'll want a new router before 802.11g becomes a concern.

• Like 1

What Dustin said. I design enterprise networks for a living so I actually sort of know what I'm talking about for once on indmas haha!

The reason I've heard of why neptune wont wifi the apex is because about every 5 years a new wireless standard is adopted. AC1 was adopted in 2013 and here we are looking at AC wave 2 now 2 years later.

I would get the whatever model netgear that apex suggests in their threads. I've read about it before but cant remember the model exactly. It wont be out of date since most wireless routers still have 2.4gHz channels in them (at least for the next couple years) so they'll support a/b/g/n.

I would however strictly follow the fact to NOT update firmware via wireless. I doubt the apex has a lot of flash on board so what it essentially is doing is deleting the original OS to make room for the new one before it downloads from Neptune. If it fails, you'll reboot your apex without an OS, ie: "bricking" it. It's probably recoverable but you might have to send it to Neptune. Big PITA.

I will however vouch for the Apex. I love mine and wont even consider running a tank again without one. Not because I'm a "techie" but because it shows you so much about your tank that you have no idea is happening without it, on top of the automation and piece of mind is something that you almost cant put a $ amount on.

I suggest getting the breakout box for it so you can have float switches all over the place for triggers and redundancy.

Literally this weekend it saved me when my skimmer decided to randomly overflow while I was out running errands. I have a float switch in the collection cup so that if it fills up the skimmer automatically shuts off and sends me a text/email letting me know.

Ok I'll quit rambling haha. Get it, and do whatever it takes to. You wont regret it.

• Like 2

To add the wireless capability all you need is a gaming adaptor and Neptune recommends this one on their site. Netgear WNCE2001

I found it on Amazon for $23 and change as a factory refurb. Ordered it and got it yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453919437&sr=8-1&keywords=wnce2001

It took less than 5 minutes to install.

1. Plugged it in

2. Hit WPS button on the WNCE2001

3. Hit WPS button on Router

4. Waited for WLAN light to turn solid green. (about 1 minute)

5. Plugged Apex into WNCE2001

6. Restarted Apex using the touchpad.

It's connected and working fine. No more LAN cable strung across the living room!