Peppermint and Tiger Pistol Shrimp observed behavior

07s197

I dream of a large aquarium build but I sure enjoy the "intimacy" of a nano.

Today I was watching the tank and saw one of my large peppermint shrimp near one of my RBTA. It appeared that it was bothering the nem. I grabbed my long tweezers to shoo it off and discovered it was being stung. Still alive I watched it closely hoping it would survive the encounter. The shrimps left side was paralyzed. After a few minutes of this I noticed the pistol nosing around then retreating back into one of its dens. Without warning the pistol raced out of the hole, snatched the injured peppermint and drug it underground as quickly as it came out.

I presume that the pistol was dining on the used to be alive shrimp because what I imagine the odor of food drew the attention of the Pom Pom crab and the electric blue hermit. Both of which received a snap from the pistol.

When they say it is reef safe, I guess that only applies to non injured/ healthy inhabitants.

I wish I thought to have my phone recording while I was observing the peppermint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They'll definitely feed on anything thats an opportunity for them. I have a fairly large pistol shrimp. It was 2 gears old when I got it last spring and it grabs big hunks of food frequently as it blows by.

I hear it go on a snapping frenzy sometimes and wonder if the goby has met it match. Lol. I go days without seeing either one sometimes so you never know.