I'm getting a 265g tank

dogum99

So a guy in my neighborhood posted a free tank and I jumped at the chance. I feel maybe it is "Karma" getting back at me for the 200g deep dimension I bought used that had a crack in it. Its in decent shape, but 12 years old so I plan on resiliconing the inside. I haven't seen it empty yet. It is full of cichlids atm that I am rehoming to with a friend. I want to drill this tank if all possible what kind of recommendations do you guys have for possibly drilling this tank for overflows. The tank is 7ft long.

b7edbf9c3094b871d41c2493ebe84b91_jpg_max

Im thinking SWC-250 for a skimmer, Eshopps RS-300 or R300 (haven't decided). I could use some input on return pump as I haven't looked at equipment in 6 years internal vs external as well.

I recommend the Synergy overflow versus the ghost. There are some differences in quality these days. Rick from Synergy helped to develop the ghost and was the one who made it for Reef Savvy.

It's a standard drilled pattern though. Mine is dead silent. The stupid filter socks make more noise than anything else.

They now have a 20" model capable of 2500g/hr of flow. One of these would work for your tank with 10x the turnover capability.

I doubt you would ever turn that much anyway. The nice thing is the ability to skim from 20" of surface.

Check it out.....it's a bit more $ but I can tell you that mine disappears on my back wall because it's so low profile. $249

http://synergyreef.com/product/20-synergy-reef-overflow/

They now have a 20" model capable of 2500g/hr of flow. One of these would work for your tank with 10x the turnover capability.

I doubt you would ever turn that much anyway. The nice thing is the ability to skim from 20" of surface.

Check it out.....it's a bit more $ but I can tell you that mine disappears on my back wall because it's so low profile. $249

http://synergyreef.com/product/20-synergy-reef-overflow/

I wish they had this when I did my tank. I bought the 16" but would have loved to have the longer one.

Yea, me too! The biggest thing for me is the bulkheads are bigger allowing for the higher flow rate and quieter operation. Mine is doing fine though. I have the 16"

The best advice I can give on this would be to actually calculate how high you want your over flows so that if your main pump fails you dont over flow your sump. So keep your drains high and keep your sump large.

Go with 2" bulk heads to keep up with the water volume you need for turn over rate. Keep in mind that just because maybe a 1" fits your 10x turn over rate that you wont be using the entire 1", you'll be restricting it in places, thats why always go bigger.

• Like 1

1.5" is the biggest that something like this would ever need. The 20" overflow from synergy uses 1.5" bulkheads for the drains. The 16" model uses 1" bulkheads.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this tank was rough once we got in there lol. I didn't realize how much silicone was used on the top. Glad I decided to reseal it.

IMG_1337.jpg

So wife sees it and hates it. Now she wants to me try to fix the 200. I have the itch right now so I may fix it and see what plays out lol.