Red Sea Reefer question

Hello All,

Now that I have had some good success (and lack of) I am considering a bigger build. Since I do not possess the depth of knowledge for a from scratch build and the desire for time savings I am considering purchasing the reefer 350.

Does anyone have experience with this setup? If so what is your opinion? I desire having a fuge with whatever build I decide on but there does not appear to be an easy way to attach this to the reefer and have it concealed. There is a compartment that is supposed to be for a chiller, but I do not believe that will be necessary. Other builds I have seen on the web utilize this space for controllers, storage etc.

I guess another question is if you had to do a hundred gallon total setup with the knowledge you have now would you go with this rig? Why or why not?

Thanks

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having owned a Red Sea Max 130 back when red sea was getting their feet wet with All In One builds I can tell you they make them fairly well with regards to the tank. The stands could be more of "premium" build especially at the price point to of the Reefer series but whatever.

You're right in the fact that these systems offer very little in terms of expandability or adding on to it. They are meant for the consumer that just wants a plug and play system and not one to tinker or modify things. The skimmer that came with the Max was crap...many turned to the Tunze 9002 as a replacement but that thing cost 1/4 of what the entire tank did. Media baskets from StevieT (who know owns mediabaskets.com) were the filtration upgrade and ran about $60, the stock return pumps were OK, maxijet 1200 with a Y fitting did a better job and was more energy efficient.

For that kind of money you could easily build out a rimless 75-80g tank with fairly decent equipmemt. Pick a tank, choose a sump, then the rest of the equipmentime as your sump will dictate more what you can use than the tank size. That's about the most prevalent size I'm this hobby and most people here who have a 75-125g build have the same equipmemt or very close so you can get a lot of feedback on it.

To alot of people (myself included), the building of the tank is as enjoyable as having the tank after its built.

Also the Reefer 350 is $1700 just for the system. If you wait and check these boards often, you will find a fully setup tank liverock coral and all for less $$$$ than that.

I have only been in this hobby for a year and a half; however, I agree with Atomic and Reefer82 in that if you build the system yourself you will be able to spend $$ where you feel it is necessary and save $$ where you feel you can by purchasing used items. Building the system yourself will also let you completely design it to the needs of your particular interests and needs. Since I joined this club a little over a year ago I have seen a few complete systems for sale and lots of equipment for sale...tanks, lights, sump/refugiums, etc. You can also get excellent advice on your build from the members in this club and Jeremy at Modern Aquatix. If you live closer to Edinburg, you also have the staff of Premium Aquatics.

If you have room for a 195 gallon tank, Orlando has a fantastic setup for sale.

Well that is food for thought. I watched some fuge videos online and there are some great options out there. I found glass cages and a slightly larger tank with the fuge, stand and shipped is still cheaper than the reefer. Any manufacturers of marine grade furniture? The solid red oak stand from glass cages is nice but I am concerned about damage from the water.

I think the 195 is beyond me at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the RSM130 as well. I've been in the hobby for quite some time (Almost 15 years now) and I've built a 44gal corner, 40gal breeder, 55gal standard, 75gal standard, 90gal standard, 120gal tall, 150gal tall, and the RSM130. and I have to say that the RSM was one of my favorites. I did upgrade the skimmer to the Tunze and put supplemental led's to help the T5' s but overall I enjoyed that tank. So much so that I'd pick up another if I saw it at a good price.

That said, for $1700 there are a lot of great options in the 75gal range which you could have a complete setup if you were penny wise, and an almost complete setup if you got a couple higher end pieces of equipment. You just have to decide where you want to put your money. Just make sure to do your research. This hobby can get overwhelming at times.