• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
07s197

Pairing gold striped maroons?

I have a mature GSM that is about 3.5 inches in length that I have had for about two years. Just yesterday my RBT split and now my clown doesn't know what to do. I thought that now my tank seems to be doing really well I would try to get a mate for this beautiful fish. I did a bit of reading on pairing GSM and was wondering if anyone had any success.

I presume it is a female and is aggressive towards the printed side of one of my algae scrapers, has nipped me a time or two but nothing unusual from what I am aware of.

One thread I saw said to purchase the smallest juvenile you can find and slowly introduce it using a specimen container. If after three tries the suggestion was to start over with another fish. The GSM is the only fish in my cube.

I am not sure if it is worth trying or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your plan to buy a small one and use a breeder net is a good one. If initial pairing is unsuccessful you can also put the larger one you have now in the net for a few/several days and withhold most food from it while giving the small one a chance to settle into the larger tank and eat like a pig. It takes a bit of the pep out of the female and let's the small juvenile/male get comfortable. When I added a small male to my onyx percula I also created some hiding spots the male could fit into that the female could not. This could be a few pieces of the correctly sized PVC pipe added to the tank or I used frag tiles in the 4 tank corners to provide these safe spots. With the tiles leaned just right the female couldn't quite reach him. Pipes would be easier though.

Success, I purchased the fish and an isolation box (elite aquatics) from PA. The isolation box is well made. The juvenile stayed in the box for 24+ hours and was able to eat cyclopeeze that would blow in through the slots.

I introduced the juvenile into the aquarium about an hour before lights out last night. After about 20 minutes the female found him and nudged it underneath one of my rbta. The juvenile displayed submissive behavior towards the female. At no time was she aggressive towards him, whew.

https://vimeo.com/148936249

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk