Adam and Brittany's 170 Rimless

Did you have to drill holes in the MH fixture? Where did you get the brackets? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I had to drill holes in the MH fixture. I did not puncture the reflective backing. Only went in far enough with the drill bit to get through the metal. Then attached the brackets with self tapping screws. The brackets came with the Reef Brites.

Very impressive! Its obvious you have put a lot of thought and planning into this project. Terrific job so far. Looks like it will be awesome.

• 2 months later...

Looking good! Nice work on the light. You see they have the new led bars that actually fit into your t5 fixture? Euro something. I plan on using two blue bars and swap out two blue +, then I can take off my supplemental led's like you have.

I only use the LEDs for Moon/night lighting. They are never on when the main lights are on. I like to be able to see into my tank at night and I am always awake a long time after my main lights go off. The LEDs turn off when I go to bed (manually)!

• 3 weeks later...

Most recent Fish Stock List:

Emperor Angel

BiColor Angel

(2) Lyretail Anthias

Sailfin Blenny

Purple Dottyback

Banggai Cardinal Fish

Reef Chromis

(2) Percula Clownfish

Spotted Mandarin

Foxface Lo

Magnificent Foxface

(2) Dragon Gobies

Valentini Puffer

Hipo Tang

Blue Throat Trigger

We are going to add a couple more tangs and some smaller fish in the near future. Going to wait until after the wedding to really start adding coral.

Took a couple quick videos. Sorry for the poor quality, they were taken with my iPhone.

http://vid1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/aconklin81/IMG_4709_zpstkdb5y5c.mp4

The start of the second video is from my entry way and walking around into the dining room

http://vid1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/aconklin81/IMG_4710_zpstz54v3aq.mp4

Blue Throat is still really shy. Except for feeding time, you have to sneak up on him to see him.

http://vid1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/aconklin81/IMG_4711_zpschlhsyvs.mp4

• 4 months later...

Update!

We had an ich outbreak that took out the majority of our fish. The surviving fish were: a clown, the blenny, the blue throat, an anthia, hipo tang and a chromis. After catching fish and moving them to QT, they finally came out this past weekend. Everyone seems to be enjoying the display tank instead of QT. In the mean time, I tried to finish up everything I still needed to do on the tank. I added a second MP40, added a dosing pump, added an Apex controller, added an auto water change and set up my RODI reservoir to automatically fill. I also took some time to finish up my wire management. I bought a couple of corals and they seem to be doing really well. I will be buying more here in the near future. With no fish in the tank, we have been battling algae. Did some vodka dosing to help out then the cyano came and we are battling it now. Hopefully with some of these grazing fish in there, they will kelp keep it under control. Pics below:

Wire Management above my sump:

IMG_5064_zpsbu3zgt2m.jpg

Wire Management in my electrical section:

IMG_5125_zpse7wkkgvq.jpg

Dosing Pump:

IMG_5275_zpsydbda7gr.jpg

Auto Water Change with ATO:

IMG_5274_zpsk4plg6ab.jpg

RODI Auto Fill (THANKS PAT):

IMG_5265_zpszgeemibs.jpg

IMG_5267_zpscgooq6m3.jpg

Wow looks like you are making a lot of headway on the automated world in the hobby. Sorry to hear about ich and cyano but it appears you are handling it well. Keep us posted on it all!

It's almost no fun now. I used to have something I needed to do on the tank every night. Now it does it automatically. I still test my water frequently. Can't wait for that to be automated!

• 4 months later...

Updated stock list:

Powder Blue

Orange Shoulder

Hippo

Desjardini

Bluethroat - Male

Bluethroat - Female - currently in QT

Percula Clown

Lyretail Anthia - Male

Lyretail Anthia - Female

(2) Banggai Cardinal Fish