Finger swollen

PopEyeTim

Not sure what happened. Moved my live rock and corals over to my 90 and started noticing my thumb burning. I thought it was a small cut and salt was irritating it. Now im starting to think i touched a bristle worm or something. The pain is crazy, took some ibuprofen to help until i can call a doctor tomorrow. Its weird, the redness started in the small wound and now its following my veins up to my for arm. All the veins are really tender too...not sure whats going on. Kinda freaky. Anyone else have something like this happen?

ff4a09b564e049386544f614024af580.jpg73200be3949c218fe139c60508c0d29d.jpg51c852488f7e49a08ba14d1add7e6703.jpg

http://www.tfhdigital.com/tfh/200805/#pg122Thought I'd reference, unsure on symptoms.Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wont let me open link since im not a subscriber to website.

Not sure if it was from zoa/paly. Whatever i touched created a small pin hole in my thumb. Now the redness is throughout all my veins in my forarm going up to my armpit. Very very sore to the touch so ill prob swing by the ER aftet a bit to see what they think.

Did you catch that thread that Old Salt said to dip the effected area into ammonia to relieve pain and swelling? Check it out, my assumption is a sharp piece if live rock may have pierced your skin and maybe the bacteria or paly toxin entered your blood stream?

• Like 1

Well this sucks....they cant help me at urgent care. Sending me to orthopedic surgeon to possibly cut my thumb open. He said i need to go immediatly......never again will i touch corals or rock without gloves!!!

Looks like it could be a felon, with lymphangiits into the wrist. Any wound in the fingertips can extend into the pulp space of the pads, and often need to be drained (usually turns out to be a staph infection). Most of the marine bacterial infections don't extend that quickly (except some vibrio species). This doesn't sound like problem from zoas/palys. Paly toxin causes systemic symptoms due to poisoning at the cellular level, multi organ failure, etc, and kills you that way. Most of the simple envenomations can be treated with the ammonia and/or hot water bath as per Old Salt's recent post.

I'm not surprised the medcheck wasn't very helpful. I'm sure their experience with marine related envenomations/infections is nil. That said, it's still possible this is not related to an aquarium injury, and just coincidental timing.

Hope for all the best for you. Keep us updated Tim.

ps - I've often thought about running a survey of aquarists about these types of injuries/illnesses and write it up. Many people have no idea of the level of potentially poisonous & injurious things that are in our tanks, let alone all the associated chemicals & additives we have stored in our fish rooms!

• Like 3

ps - I've often thought about running a survey of aquarists about these types of injuries/illnesses and write it up. Many people have no idea of the level of potentially poisonous & injurious things that are in our tanks, let alone all the associated chemicals & additives we have stored in our fish rooms!

I think that would be an excellent idea for an article!

Everything is ok as of now. Doctor put me on cipro to help bc amoxicillin didnt appear to help at all. If its not better by midnight i have to go back to the ER. Fingers crossed that the antibodics work!

• Like 1