At least you might understand...

I've been struggling with some stress/frustration issues of late so finally I pushed past my nervousness and went to my first-ever session with a therapist last night.

Things were going along fine discussing personal/family history and when asked if I had any pets... I beamed and proudly started describing my 20-gallon piece of the ocean.

<_< She quickly cut me off and said that doesn't count. :mad:

:soapbox: Screw that, I care more about this hobby than her stupid cats.

/rant

I feel you man. Everyone walks around referring to themselves as parents and calling their pets "fur babies", but try calling your fish "scale babies" and suddenly you're the insane one.

Scale babies is a tad creepy and doesn't roll off the tounge quite as well.

It seems like the criteria for pet is something you can pick up and hug. I don't know about anyone else, but I can see distinct personalities in all my fish. Not to mention if stress is the problem, there is nothing that works better to calm me down after a long day than watching my tank for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

It is also proven reef tanks especially are extremely therapeutic to have in the house. From the water oxygen exchange and the simple pleasure of watching the beauty

Adding to this, I have known people who have been recommended to get a fish tank from therapists (Not always a reef tank, mind you) to calm them down/ease anxiety.

Interestingly, she denied and then back-peddled pretty hard when I went back with my wife in tow for a second session.

I was asked to describe my after-work routine, which obviously includes a drive-by glance at the tank.

Her: "Oh, you have a fish tank?"

Me: :huh2: Yes... you cut me off last week when I tried to tell you about it.

Her: "I didn't cut you off, I wouldn't say something like that."

Me: Um, ok... (continues...)

Her: (interrupting again) "Oh, a saltwater tank... those are so beautiful! I can understand why you would care so much about that!"

:sign_lol::140_animated_fish_swimming: