Petco Michigan Rd, north side

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but here goes.

Now after seeing the title I'm sure a lot of people are preparing there petco horror stories, and I'm sure there valid. However, this is a different kind of PetCo post. A post of praise!

PetCo on Michigan rd is a hidden treasure. Maybe I'm being a bit exaggerated here, but in all seriousness I'm really impressed with them, there aquatics manager is doing a really great job!

Don't get me wrong, it still feels like a chain pet store, however all the livestock look healthy and happy, and some really good finds and good prices too! They have a lot of captive bred livestock which is good to see.

I've purchased from there before over the past couple years and I've been pleased. Just felt compelled to post something after today's purchase.

I went in last week and saw a heniochus diphreutes, aka schooling banner fish, looked up and made sure it was indeed heniochus d. and wasn't an accuminatas and from what I can tell it is heniochus d. So a week later I went in today either expecting it to have been sold or worse to have died in the store tank, but to my surprise he was still there, best part was the price $29.99! That's like $40 less than live aquaria!

So get him home, an hour after being in the quarantine tank he's already eating frozen brine, and looks really well conditioned!

Super pleased, go check them out, and to the aquatics manager if you ever see this, keep up the good work!!!

It is a nicely kept store. I am in that best buy location next door every weekend and usually pop in during a break just to see whats new. Ive never seen an ich outbreak, and suitable boring softies are kept in the low lighting as opposed to clams and other crazy things you see in chain stores. I think everytime ive been in there someone is doing some sort of tank maintenance which is a great sign.

I've had generally good results from them. As with any fish purchases, if you spend a bit of time watching it, maybe even get the chance at feeding time, you can make better decisions. Their prices are also very competitive. Occassionally I have seen an ICH outbreak in one of their systems, but not often. And as with purchases anywhere, QT is a must or you are putting your other fish at risk.

I visit that store when I'm in Indy. I have bought multiple fish/coral from them over the years and at a great price usually because they sometimes mislabel the livestock. I saw that banner fish but knew my tank was too small.

• 2 weeks later...
well its gotta be better than the uncle bills on the east side. It has a HORRIBLE outbreak of flatworms.

All the UB I have been to I the last 6 months or more ha e gone WAY downhill accept for the greenwood location. Very dissapointted

• 4 weeks later...

I just stopped in this Petco this evening for some fish food. They have a nice selection of fish right now, and all looked pretty healthy. A variety of dwarf angels (coral beauty, flame, bicolor, lemonpeel, and a Lamark's which I have never seen them stock before). Also heniochus butterfly, lots of banggai (tank raised), and a good sized carpet anemone for $19.99.

• Like 1

I bought my snowflake and black ice clowns there. Very healthy and the price was awesome as they were on sale. 55 for the black ice and 35 for the snowflake. They don't have crazy coloration but better than a regular clown.

Best part is that tell some awesome jokes.

• Like 1

Any LFS is going to have ich unless their fish sit in copper. Think of the thousands of fish moving in and out. The odds of the systems not having ich and other parasites is statistically zero. No husbandry in this environment will change this. What you want is good water quality, good quality fish that can combat and survive these.