My 100g rimless, finally!

After years of making the wrong choices in tank size for my desires I finally came across a 48x24 footprint tank thanks to Orlando. Its 20" tall, low iron glass, rimless, and has a left side corner overflow along with a nice, tall, custom stand. It puts the center of the tank at nearly eye level which is great for keeping little fingers and toys off the glass. The stand is very well built by pwoller and has ample sized doors as well as access on the side via a removable panel. It has been finished a dark gray with brushed nickel hardware.

Im in the rough plumbing stage at the moment but hope to be filled and have something good to look at at least a few days before the meet.

Equipment:

Custom glass cube sump w frag area

2 Reef Breeders Photon 24 fixtures

Vertex Omega 150 skimmer

Vortech MP10wES

Tunze 6065

Full Apex

Tunze 1073.040 Return pump

Adjustable manifold to feed reactors

Brs dual reactor

TLF 150 reactor

Tunze 3155 ATO and custom reservoir

Algaefree Hammerhead mag cleaner

Plumbing will be easily dismantled by true union valves and unions before the manifold and return pump. There will be valves on drain and return to be able isolate the tank without draining overflow when I need to remove the sump for cleaning or maintenance on equipment.

The surprise inside the stand will be my newly acquired Solana 34g I will be using it as a self contained QT system along side my sump. It will have its own reef breeders value fixture with leds matched to the spectrum of the main lights to make transition to the display a snap. The apex will keep it on a lighting cycle to mimic the display.

Existing livestock from my 60 and 75 will move over. 40ish corals and 120lbs or so of tampa bay saltwater liverock and a couple clowns. Im going with different fish and will be finding new homes for some of rhe existing tankmates.

Pics to come when there is actually something good to look at.

I read all that and no pics at the end?!?! *eye roll*

That's how it goes sometimes, life can be a series of letdowns before a big payoff. Lol

What you have is a 3 sided starfire tank made by aquarium obsessed. You have a great tank and at times I wish I had it back.

Thats good to know, I had no idea who the builder was. It'll probably be here awhile, I cant really go any larger in this house without some serious changes. Who knows though, ive changed my mind about 16 times in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Its almost ready for water. Im one fitting short of completing the plumbing. I'll have RO working overtime as I used most of the 40gal I already had for my pico, the "temporary" brute home of the 60g tank and the 40 breeder in my kitchen. 150g should take care of it and ensure I have 35-40 on hand for water changes over the first couple weeks if needed.

I'll be converting the doors to a surface mount hinge as much as I don't want to as I need those precious 4" being lost inside by the blocks that the current ones are attached to.

In an attempt to tackle noise reduction I lined the entire top and bottom of the stand with 3/8" thick anti fatigue material. It gave a nice base for the tank, sump, and soon to be Solana.

satypuba.jpggehenu4u.jpg

Aaannnd its full. The drain is SUPER loud. No doubt because I ran out of parts and slapped it together w a hodgepodge of pvc fittings. Lol. I just wanted it to run. Its an easy fix since I can just pop a union off there and go to town.

Skimmer and return are running now along w a 300w heater so I can toss some salt in tomorrow AM

Looking good. Not to be picky but is that tank/stand level? From looking at the latest picture seems that the water is much higher on the right than the left. Maybe it's just the picture and the reflection but if it's as off as it shows in pic I'd drain it down, level, and fill again. Don't want your floor to turn into a "reef". :rolleyes:

Looking good. Not to be picky but is that tank/stand level? From looking at the latest picture seems that the water is much higher on the right than the left. Maybe it's just the picture and the reflection but if it's as off as it shows in pic I'd drain it down, level, and fill again. Don't want your floor to turn into a "reef". :rolleyes:

It's off by 1/8"". It was fine before filling, I'm guessing the 1100lbs of tank and water made my floor somewhat unhappy. Planning to fix it tonight. Ive got faith it won't let me down before then. If not, well at least I know insurance will cover it. Lol

Roush,

I figured I would get things leveled tonight, let it run until Monday when Im off again and maybe bring over some livestock from the brute. 4 fish, a few corals and 60lbs of rock were in a separate one from the can of death. I might try BB this time. I can always go back I suppose.

It's off by 1/8"". It was fine before filling, I'm guessing the 1100lbs of tank and water made my floor somewhat unhappy. Planning to fix it tonight. Ive got faith it won't let me down before then. If not, well at least I know insurance will cover it. Lol

Roush,

I figured I would get things leveled tonight, let it run until Monday when Im off again and maybe bring over some livestock from the brute. 4 fish, a few corals and 60lbs of rock were in a separate one from the can of death. I might try BB this time. I can always go back I suppose.

Can't wait to see. I love rimless tanks. Sorry to hear about the blowout too! !

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Well, I suppose an update is in order, you know after almost a year and all.

After suffering a massive loss of almost all livestock during the transition due to a nem getting into a powerhead while in a brute i took my time on this. It's all running and after waiting to several months for reef flakes they're in and looking good.

Equipment changed a little. The MP10 wouldn't hold well to the 1/2" glass so it went to a new home. The manifold system for reactors is being deleted due to lack of space as well as the integrated QT system. It was going to require magic to make it happen, and well, I'm not a magician. Flow will be handled by a pair of Jebao RW-8 along with the main return and the 6065. The Jebao DP-4 dosing pump is on the way as well and I plan to get with Synergy Reef to have a big combo ato and dosing container made which is the reason why the self contained QT won't work

I'll get some pics up later tonight after I get oft work.

Still working on the rock layout. It took several days for the water to clear up from the sand then I had to work for several straight and just didn't feel like messing with it. I will likely remove some of it, figured rather have more to work with than not enough. I'm kind of kicking myself for getting rid of some of my open lacey rock awhile back.

SAM_0703.JPG

SAM_0704.JPG