Reinforcing a floor over crawlspace

solor

I would put a few cinder blocks underneath and use floor jacks. Floor jacks are around $20-$30 a piece I think. I used to be a home inspector and got into a lot of crawls, anything that heavy will eventually warp the floor especially if it ever gets wet. I just wouldn't risk it. That's why apartments say no fish tanks sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

If your aquarium is anywhere near a corner of a room, you likely wont need to do anything at all. If your floor joists are 2x10 or 2x12 at 16" on center, it will carry the weight of your aquarium easily. You could reinforce your floor if it makes you feel better, but the only real purpose it will serve is making you feel better.

Thanks for the replies. Aquarium is currently 7' 160 gallon. Future (few years probably) it will be a 8' 300 gln with the 160 as the sump. It will rest on the outside corner wall of a two story, running perpendicular. The joists are 2" by 8" at 18" on center. The entire foundation has been reinforced about 8' off the outside with 2 "sistered 2 x 8's", resting on a concrete footer with cinder blocks. yvatupe9.jpg5yrera6e.jpgzy4aqu8u.jpg hope the pics come out right..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would put a few cinder blocks underneath and use floor jacks. Floor jacks are around $20-$30 a piece I think. I used to be a home inspector and got into a lot of crawls, anything that heavy will eventually warp the floor especially if it ever gets wet. I just wouldn't risk it. That's why apartments say no fish tanks sometimes. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This is definitely how You should go about bracing, but do not use cinder blocks. To do it right, you would need to pour some sort of a footer or atleast get some sort of concrete pad to sit it on. Cinder blocks usually dont have enough surface area and will settle into the ground. Also it would help to have a 4x6 to use as a beam under 2 or possibly 3 of the floor jacks.

Im a Contractor out of Rushville, Depending on your urgency of having this done, i could come by and take a look. A guy who heads one of my crew lives 10 min south of Anderson so its not out of the way. Or of you wana pick my brain to do it yourself, then just ask!!!

Ross

I had some bounce in the floor of the old house that made me worry so I got a 4x4, 2 concrete blocks and 2 floor jacks. Put those under the middle of the room running perpendicular to the joist. That helped a lot with my issues.