• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RICORDIA LIGHT LEVEL REQUIREMENTS!!??

HortonBM

Hey all! Hope everyone is well.

I am really confused with book and internet articles about the care of ricordia. How much light does the florida need, how much light does the yuma need. Some said yuma need really dim or indirect light while floride prefer brighter light, but some said otherwise

My florida and especially my yuma ricordia seem to curl upwards toward the surface. This makes it difficult to really see the beauty and color of the ricordia. The florida ricordia only seem to do this towards the end of the day and my yuma does it from the time the lights turn on to the time they go out. Do my yuma ricordia require less light than my florida?

Help!

Brandon

hey horton

i'm not a softie guy but i used to be... i've still got some stray R. florida in my SPS reef left over from when i tried to clear out my soft corals... if you want some orange florida's let me know!... anyway.. those little b*stards grow and spread like mad under my 250w halides. much faster than they did under my PC's...i've seen lots of brightly lit SPS tanks with ricordea scattered about the bottom and doing well... don't know if that helps at all but if igured i'd tell you what i know.

Brion

HEY BRION,

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear your rics grow and spread like mad under your MH's. Unfortunate you don't want them though. I think they are beautiful. They are one of my favorite corals. I am wondering if I have them up too high in my tank and they are getting too much light. I would like to move them down low but I need another good size piece of live rock to fill in the big hole they would create in my rock work if I moved them down low. I have one big rock with about 15-20 misc. colored florida and yuma ricordia attatched.

I would like a couple more rics if you are interested in selling a couple. I would also like some more live rock if anyone has some for sale/trade.

So what does everyone think I should do? Move my rics down lower because they are getting too much light or do I not have enough light?

Thanks,

Brandon

Ditto, i highly doubt they're getting too much light.... if anything those buggers aren't getting enough.. i wouldn't worry about it... just keep up on your bulb changes and maybe someday think about upgrading to a higher intensity light... then you can move those suckers to the bottom and get some real coral :D :mrgreen: SPS!!!! just kiddin. I used to have tons of soft coral but they no longer were welcome as the tank slowly matured into an SPS reef.. Whatever you do good luck. I would def. hook you up with some rics... :D

Brion

Thanks Brion!

The guy I bought the ricordia rock from had a 30 gallon tall with 130w. I have a 20 gallon tall with 130w. When the ric rock was in his tank they looked absolutely gorgeous on the BOTTOM of his tank with no curling at all. I have mine at the top and they are curling. My lamps are only 6-9 months old. I know I want to move them to the bottom. I need some more live rock though. So if anyone has any live rock for sale, hit me up. How often do you have to change the lamps/bulbs? My light is on for about 13 hours a day.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Brandon

My light is on for about 13 hours a day.

That is more then likely why they are curling up. cut your photoperiod down to about 8-10 hours per day. its not the intensity of the light they are getting, its the photoperiod. In order to photosynthesis, zoanthellae need a dark period, over exposure may be the cause of them not fully opening. Plus water quality is a HUGE factor. Bulbs typically are changed about 1x per year

Kyle

I will cut the amount of time the lights are on to about 10 hours. I am assuming i should do this gradually, right? What sort of affect will this change in light have on my corals? Will they color up better? How long do most people have their lights on above their tank? What are the light requirement differences between a yuma ricordia and a florida ricordia?

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon,

I response to your original question

What are the light requirement differences between a yuma ricordia and a florida ricordia?

There are no difference in lighting condions required. they are both mushrooms, however they come from different areas in the world and one my get diff. lighting but in an aquarium they require the same.

as far as color up better, probably not. Your corals may open up bigger.

I would jut go ahead and change the photoperiod with no gradual change. (but thats me) you could dcrease it by an hour every couple of days I suppose.

Kyle

The amount of time your lights are on now really is fine... if you want to decrease it that's just as good (and i wouldn't worry about a gradual decrease in photoperiod) Photosynthesis only occurs during lighted periods.. i'm sure you know that gobygoby, just seemed a little confusing the way you worded it. :wink: anyway 13 hours really isn't a problem most people like it around 8-10 hours. my total photoperiod is also 13 hours though... i just counter the light period between my sump and my display tank to keep the pH in check. I tell ya what find yourself another little peice of live rock. and try sticking those rics on the bottom see if you have any luck... or you could stick the existing rock down further and if it works look for a new peice to fill the spot and if not just return. Rics for the most part are pretty hardy. you'll have some trouble killin em if you do some experiments... oh yes.. i like to change flourescents more often than once a year.. they do dim a lot and the daylights really start to loose their color around 8 months or so (from personal experience) i change my VHO's every 8months and can always tell a great deal of difference.

good luck bro' :D

Brion